DCF Coupon Class Outline
o What Couponing is and what it is not
It is a way to save money…it is not a get rich quick scheme.
It is not like the unrealistic TV show “Extreme Couponing”
o Different Types of Coupons
o Important Features of a Coupon
Type of Coupon
Rules and Restrictions
o Where Do You Get Coupons?
Online Coupon Sites
• http://www.target.com/ - Under the “See More” Section
• http://coupons.walmart.com/ - Look for “Printable Coupons”
Writing to Companies
o Organizing Your Coupons
Tow Basic Methods (each with pros and cons)
• Whole Inserts (cut them when needed)
Pro – You don’t have to cut everything out! Saves Time!
Con – You need to have a database to know where each coupon is
Con – You can’t spontaneously shop
Con – You must have a separate method for tracking your internet
• Cut out all individual coupons
Pro – You can spontaneously shop for items. Can be mobile.
Pro - Faster retrieval of coupons once organization is done.
Con – This method takes the most time and effort
o Storing Your Coupons
o Couponing at Different Stores
• Incentive Program – ExtraCare Card
• CVS will take a manufacturer coupon and a CVS store coupon for the
same item! They will also allow you to pay using CVS Bucks.
• Copy of CVS Coupon Policy:
CVS ExtraCare Card
• Get your ExtraCare Card at any register.
• Use your card at the big red kiosk to get CVS store coupons
• Use your card to track your CVS purchases online
• Use your card for lower prices at CVS
• Card and CVS Bucks must match
CVS ExtraCare Bucks
• Also called ECBs. These are CVS store coupon for a discount off your next
purchase that prints at check out. They print at the bottom of your
receipt and can be used “like cash” on almost anything else sold at CVS
(excludes gift cards, alcohol and prescriptions).
• You must have the cashier scan your ExtraCare Card before you make a
purchase to get your ECBs.
• CVS Scenario for this week:
Here is this weeks deals at CVS:
• Just For Men Shampoo-In Hair Color or Touch of Gray $6.99
• Then use this $2.00 off of one coupon, here:
• Then get the FREE Just for Men with a Rebate for up to $9.50 from:
• Schick Quattro for Men $8.99 w/ $3 ECB (Limit 1)
• $2.00 off 1 Schick Quattro for Women Razor or Refill 01/15/2012 SmartSource
Insert (exp 02/26/2012) Makes this deal $3.99 after coupon and ECB
• Colgate Total or Sensitive 5.8-6 oz $2.77 w/ $1 ECB (Limit 2)
• $1.00 off one Colgate Total Advanced, Optic White, Sensitive Pro-Relief
01/15/2012 SmartSource = 77¢ after coupon and ECB
• Brita Classic Pitcher or 3 Pack Replacements $14.99 with $5 ECB (Limit 1)
• Take $4.00 off one Brita Pitcher or Faucet Mount with the 01/15/2012
SmartSource Insert (exp 03/31/2012) = $10.99 out of pocket
• Then, send in for a $10.00 Rebate, here: http://challenge.brita.com/save-on-
• You Earn $5.00 ECB which makes it FREE You then make $4.01 after coupon, ECB
• Spend $12.00 and get $4.00 ECB when you buy the following:
– Glade Scented Oil PlugIns 2 pk Refill; or,
– Sense & Spray 1.42 oz; or,
– Lasting Impressions 1.42 oz
• Each for $5.00
• Buy 2 Sense & Spray $5.00
• Buy 1 Glade 4 oz. Candle $3.00
• = $13.00
• Use (2) $3.00 off two Sense & Spray - 01/15 SmartSource
• Use (1) $1.00 off of one Glade Decor Holder - 01/15 SmartSource
• = $6.00 out of pocket
• Earn $4 ECB
• Final Cost? $2.00 for 3 items!
• Incentive Program – Register Rewards
• Walgreens will take a manufacturer coupon and a Walgreen’s store
coupon for the same item! They will also allow you to pay using Register
• It is important to know that Walgreens has a specific policy stating that
the number of manufacturer coupons, including Register Rewards
manufacturer coupons, may not exceed the number of items in the
transaction; and, the total value of the coupons may not exceed the value
of the transaction.
• Copy of Walgreens Coupon Policy:
• Register Rewards
A Register Reward is a catalina coupon that prints from the register
after purchase of a qualifying item(s).
You can use this coupon “like cash” on your next purchase of a
There are some limitations on what you can purchase with your
register rewards (see their online policy for a current list)
• Walgreens Scenario for this week:
This Weeks Deals:
• $3.00 Register Rewards when you buy $10.00 or more in Participating Products Below:
– Advil Congestion Relief or;
– Cough or Cold Robitussin or;
– Dimetapp 4 oz, or;
– Robitussin Nasal or;
– Robitussin Lingering Cold Relief
• each $5.00
Buy 2 Advil Congestion Relief - each $5 = $10
Use (2) $2.00 for one Advil Congestion coupons, from here:
=$6.00 out of pocket
You Earn $3.00 Register Rewards
Final Price? $1.50 ea. when you buy 2 after coupon + Register Rewards
• Thermacare pain relief – single pack neck, wrist & shoulder or menstrual heat wrap – for
$2.49 you get $2.49 Register Rewards = FREE after Register Rewards
• Abrexin Weight Loss Supplement, 30 ct for $10.00; you get a $10.00 Register Rewards =
FREE after Register Rewards
• Glade Decor Scents Warmer or Holder with Refill, OR, 2 pack Refills $2.99 w/ $1.25
Register Rewards; then use a 75¢ off one Glade Decor Scents Holder or Refill coupon
from the 01/15/2012 SmartSource Insert (exp 02/11/2012) = 99¢ after coupon &
• South Beach diet snack or meal bars, 5 pack – $5.99 get $6 Register Rewards
• Estroven PM, 24 ct caplets – $10.00 get $10.00 Register Rewards = FREE after Register
• Buy Estroven PM, 24 ct caplets for $10.00 and get $10.00 Register Rewards = FREE after
• Don’t stop there… You needed to spend $10.00 to get $10.00 in Register Rewards
• Buy Abrexin Weight Loss Supplement, 30 ct for $10.00 get $10.00 Register Rewards =
FREE after Register Rewards
• Now, pay for the Abrexin with the $10.00 Register Rewards from Step 1 and you get
another $10.00 in Register Rewards!
• You could rinse and repeat here… but; Lets keep shopping!
• Buy one South Beach diet snack or meal bars, 5 pack for $5.99 get $6.00 Register
• Then, buy Thermacare pain relief – single pack neck, wrist & shoulder or menstrual heat
wrap for $2.49 and get $2.49 Register Rewards
• Buy one Glade Decor Scents Warmer or Holder with Refill, OR, 2 pk Refills for $2.99 w/
$1.25 Register Rewards
• Use one 75¢ for one Glade Decor Scents Holder or Refill coupon 01/15/2012
SmartSource Insert (exp 02/11/2012) = 99¢ after coupon & Register Rewards
• Pay with $10.00 Register Rewards from Step 2 + 72¢ over. Get $9.74 in Register
• Buy 2 Advil Congestion Relief $5 = $10
• Use (2) $2.00 for one Advil Congestion coupons from, here:
• Pay with the $6.00 Register Rewards from the South Beach diet and still have 3.74 left in
Your out of pocket is $10.72 with $3.74 left in Register Rewards:
Taking home $31.47 worth of products!
• No Incentive Program
• Target will accept a manufacturer’s coupon and a Target store coupon for
the same item.
• Target does “price match”.
• You can get Target store coupons from their website:
• Copy of Target Coupon Policy:
• Target Scenario for this week:
• Aquafresh Extreme Clean .8oz Travel Size: 97¢ – $1.07
– Use one $1.00 off of one Any Aquafresh Extreme Clean Product coupon, here:
• Kikkoman Soy Sauce, 10 oz $1.42 (Regular Price)
– Use one $1.00 off one Kikkoman Product coupon or SmartSource -
= as low as 42¢ for the Soy Sauce
• Market Pantry Boxed Macaroni & Cheese PSA 5.4 oz 2-serving Box for 42¢ (Regular
– Use $1.00 off 1 Market Pantry Boxed Macaroni & Cheese Target Web Coupon
(exp: 2/7/12) - http://coupons.target.com/
= FREE after coupon
• Yoplait Light With Granola Yogurt 6-oz. 2-pk. $2.29 (Regular Price)
– Use a 75¢ for one Yoplait Light With Granola 2-pk. Target Web Coupon (exp:
1/28) - http://coupons.target.com/
– Use 75¢ for one Yoplait Light with Granola coupon, here:
• Buy two Centrum Pro Nutrients Omega 3 Minigels 50 ct $9.99
– Use a $5.00 off two Centrum Multivitamins AND ProNutrients Supplement
Target Web Coupon exp: 2/7/12 - http://coupons.target.com/
– Use two $5.00 off one Centrum ProNutrients coupon, here:
= $2.50 each!
• No Incentive Program
• Walmart will accept a manufacturers coupon as well as some competitor
coupons (with some limitations) for each item. For more complete
details, check their coupon policy.
• Walmart will “price match”.
• Walmart manufacturer coupons: http://coupons.walmart.com/
• Copy of Walmart Coupon Policy: http://walmartstores.com/7655.aspx
• Walmart Scenario for this week:
- Benefiber (3 stick packs), $1.98 each
- $3.00 off of one Benefiber Stick Pack printable -
= FREE (+ $1.02 overage) after coupon!
• No Incentive Program
• HEB will accept a manufacturer’s coupon and a “store coupon” for the
same item. (There is a catch!) 99.9% of HEB “yellow” coupons are, in fact,
manufacturer coupons. They also have “S” and “B” store coupons.
• Print HEB coupons:
• Copy of HEB Coupon Policy:
• HEB Scenario for this week:
The Grocery Game is a paid resource:
Class Handouts and Slideshow: