Per: _______ Date: __________________
Vocabulary Week 5
Match the best definition to each of the following words. Use only capital letters.
________ 1. barbarism A. (n) a two-footed animal; (adj) two-footed
B. a rhythmic flow or pattern (as in poetry); the
________ 2. benevolence
time or beat of the movement in dancing or
________ 3. biographical marching
C. having to do with a person’s life or the story
________ 4. biped
of a person’s life
________ 5. bizarre D. happy; joyful; carefree
E. able to float or rise in liquid or air; able to
________ 6. blithe
bounce back after a reverse or setback
________ 7. brusque F. a desire to do good; kindliness; an act of
kindness or charity
________ 8. buoyant
G. the process or using mathematics; careful
________ 9. cadence thinking or planning; estimation
H. odd; fantastic; grotesque; unusual or
________ 10. calculation
unconventional in style or appearance
I. abrupt in manner or speech; blunt
J. uncivilized, brutal behavior; cruelty; a non-
standard word or expression
Read each sentence below. In each blank space, write a word or phrase that has the same, or almost the same,
meaning as the italicized word. The first sentence is done for you.
1. “Hisself” is a barbarism __nonstandard word__.
2. Jane Addams showed her benevolence _________________ through her work at the famous Hull House
3. Some of the best-selling nonfiction is biographical _________________.
4. A bird is a biped _________________.
5. Some bizarre _________________ masks are on sale for Halloween.
6. Blythe Danner plays a blithe _________________ heroine in the movie Lovin’ Molly.
7. His brusque _________________ reply annoyed us.
8. My spirits remained buoyant _________________ despite my initial lack of success.
9. The cadence _________________ of the march was stirring.
10. To prepare a family budget takes a lot of calculation _________________.
Grade 9 Vocabulary
Find the word from the following list that answers each question below. Write this word on the line provided at
the left of each question.
barbarism bizarre cadence
___________________ 1. What kind of book describes a person’s life?
___________________ 2. What do you call the rhythmic pattern of a poem?
___________________ 3. What do you call an uncivilized act?
___________________ 4. Which word describes how a person acts who is blunt and abrupt with you?
___________________ 5. Which word describes a highly unusual occurrence?
benevolence blithe calculation
___________________ 6. What do you call a two-footed animal?
___________________ 7. Which word describes an object that is able to float in water or air?
___________________ 8. What process do you use if you figure something out mathematically?
___________________ 9. What do you call an act of kindness?
___________________ 10. Which word describes a person who is happily carefree?
Complete each of the following sentences with a word from this week’s vocabulary list.
1. Many young people like to read ____________________ stories about famous people.
2. Pirates were feared for their cruelty and ____________________.
3. The ____________________ of the music was stirring.
4. If my ____________________ is correct, we have ten miles to go before we reach our destination.
5. Raymond found the ____________________ ghost story so frightening that he had trouble getting to
6. Because I was in a hurry, my manner was somewhat ____________________.
7. Life jackets must be made of ____________________ materials.
8. The 1979 Noble Prize was awarded to Mother Teresa, who was known for her ____________________
toward the poor and sick.
9. Aaron’s ____________________ attitude kept us all cheerful.
10. Our dog Rufus looks like a true ____________________ when he dances on his hind legs.
Grade 9 Vocabulary