March 16, 2009
Dear Tallwood High School Parent/Guardian:
Virginia Beach City Public Schools is excited to announce a new online resource – SchoolNet Parent Portal – providing parents
and guardians access to important school information for their child or children. SchoolNet Parent Portal is a powerful online
tool for parents to monitor their child’s progress in school. Best of all, it can be accessed from any computer connected to the
Internet – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
By using SchoolNet Parent Portal, you will be able to access current information along with historic academic and enrollment
information dating back to the 2004-2005 school year. The current information you will have access to includes:
Notes from your child’s teacher about assignments
Standardized test scores (Example: SOL, SAT, AP, Stanford 10)
Sign up for e-mails notifying parents when your child has an unexcused absence or receives a certain class grade;
detailed attendance reports, detailed assignments, reports, and grade summary reports.
You will also be able to receive e-mail alerts/reports on:
Unexcused absences, summary grades, and assignment grades. In addition you can be alerted when your child’s
grades fall below a threshold you determine as acceptable.
It is important for you to know that only a parent or guardian, in our student database, will have access to the information for their
child or children. To set up your account and start using the SchoolNet Parent Portal, please follow these directions:
1. Please read the entire contents of this letter. A link at the bottom of this page will take you to the SchoolNet Parent
Portal Registration & Help page.
2. Follow the steps outlined in the First-Time User section. As a first-time user, you must set up a new account by
completing the SchoolNet Parent Portal Registration Form.
3. After you complete and submit your SchoolNet Parent Portal Registration Form, this information will be verified by
school division staff. You will be sent an e-mail, within two business days, providing you with a PIN number and directing
you to visit your child’s school. If you do not receive an e-mail within two business days, please call 757-263-1111
(option 1) between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. To confirm your identity, you must bring
your PIN number and a photo ID to Tallwood High School during normal business hours – 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.,
beginning Monday, March 16th, 2009.
4. If you have registered multiple children on the SchoolNet Parent Portal Registration Form, confirming your identity can
be completed in a single visit to one of your children’s schools.
5. After school staff confirms your identity, a second e-mail will be sent to you within 24 hours containing a Username and
Password that will allow you to access your child or children’s school information using the SchoolNet Parent Portal.
Parents will receive a separate Username and Password for each child.
6. To begin the process of monitoring your child’s progress in school, you will need to log on to the SchoolNet Parent
Portal from the home page of Tallwood’s Web site http://www.tallwoodhs.vbschools.com or from the home page of the
school division’s Web site www.vbschools.com and select the link SchoolNet Parent Portal Login.
Now that you have the directions to start the process of accessing academic and historical information for your child, we invite
you to register today by going to SchoolNet Parent Portal Registration & Help page at www.vbschools.com/schoolnet