Elements of a Play
What are the 5 components of a
List of characters
Setting (includes time and place)
“As the curtain rises” – what the audience will
see as the play begins
Dialogue – the name of the speaker is often in
bold and capitals followed by a colon
Brackets – indicate to the reader/actor
information not provided by speech (ie. actions,
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN!!
Using your silent reading novel, create your own
You must base your play around a
problem/conflict from your novel and it must be
resolved throughout the course of the play.
It will be due on Monday, Nov. 16th.
You must include your rough draft with the final
Don’t forget to include a title.
Length – 3 to 4 pages
You will be assessed on the
(5) FORMAT – correct use of 5 elements
(5) BRACKETS – do they provide the reader/actor with
the information required to understand/act out the play
the way the writer intended
(5) CONVENTIONS – complete sentences, punctuation,
(5) CONTENT – is the problem/conflict introduced and
resolved completely and fluently
(5) Cover – can be drawn or printed but must reflect the
(5) Presentation – care and effort put into the final