AP WORLD HISTORY
Chapter 31 Study Guide
Andrew Jackson Abraham Lincoln John Macdonald
Benito Juarez Juan Manuel de Rosas Porfirio Diaz
Emiliano Zapata Louis Riel Louisiana Purchase
Manifest destiny Trail of Tears Mexican-American War
Emancipation Proclamation Dawes Act Caudillos
La Reforma Northwest Rebellion gauchos
1. How did the United States gain control over the territory from the east to the west
coast in the 19th century?
2. What specific issues and events led to the American Civil War? What was the
outcome of that conflict, and what did it mean for the nation as a whole?
3. Summarize the steps in which Canada became politically united and independent
of Britain. How was the government of the Dominion of Canada like and unlike
that of the United States?
4. What kinds of Constitutions emerged in the independent republics of Latin
America? Which groups held political power?
5. How did the caudillos rise to power in Latin America? Who benefited from their
6. What factors led to La Reforma, the reform movement in Mexico? What was the
ultimate outcome of this conflict?
7. Compare 19th century migration patterns to North America and Latin America.
Where did immigrants come from in each case? What opportunities did they find
in each region?
8. Compare the economic development of Canada with Latin America. Neither
became an economic powerhouse like the United States. What are the similarities
9. Describe the political and economic status of each of the following groups in the
United States in the late 19th century: Native Americans, African Americans,
women, and foreign born immigrants.
10. What factors contributed to the tremendous economic growth of the United States
in the late 19th century? What were some of the problems generated by that
11. What have been the central ethnic conflicts in Canadian history?
12. Summarize the political and cultural conflict between city and pampas in