Asaad Hakeem, Ph.D. - 1 -
Asaad Hakeem, Ph.D.
To work effectively in a team environment and solve the cutting edge problems of the ever changing world
by producing the state-of-the-art in research and development
Camera Calibration and Geometry, Activity Recognition, Event Representation, Tracking and Video
Surveillance, Video Event Mining, and Video Compression.
Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, 2007 CS_GPA: 4.00
Thesis Title: Learning, Detection, Representation, Indexing, and Retrieval of Multi-Agent Events in Videos
Advisor: Dr. Mubarak Shah
M.S. Computer Science, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, 2006 CS_GPA: 4.00
B.S. Computer Systems Engineering, Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute, Pakistan, 2000 CS_GPA: 3.54
Research Scientist, Object Video, Jan 2007-present
Key contributor to the following projects:
“Future Naval Capabilities”, BAA funded by ONR
“Intelligent Retrieval of Surveillance Imagery”, SBIR Phase II, funded by ONR
“Automated Scene Understanding”, STTR Phase I, funded by US Navy
“Automated Information System (AIS) based Camera Calibration”, for FNC BAA funded by ONR
“Context-Sensitive Content Extraction and Scene Understanding”, STTR Phase II, funded by US Navy
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant, University of Central Florida, August 2002-December 2006
Contributor from UCF to Phase I & II of ARDA VACE program
Key Contributor to the following projects:
“Multiple Camera Tracking”, Funded by Lockheed Martin
“Visual Monitoring of Railroads”, Funded by Florida Department of Transportation
“Where Am I?”, Computer Vision Contest in ICCV 2005.
“Visual Monitoring of Railroad Crossing”, Funded by Florida Department of Transportation
“Night-time Surveillance”, Funded by Perceptek
Systems Analyst and Programmer, ABN AMRO Global IT Systems, May 2000-August 2002
Contributor to the following projects:
Collateral Facility and Transaction Management
Site Redesign and Java based Design of Navigation Engine (JDNE)
Eurokas – Incorporating the Euro in the Market
Automatic Camera Calibration and Geo-registration using Objects that Provide Positional Information,
Patent for automatically calibrating the camera by estimating a homography between the camera and GPS
(latitude and longitude) coordinates of moving ships on the map.
US/2008/024616 A1 (United States), Pending (Taiwan)
Achievements and Awards
ACM Outstanding Dissertation Award nomination from UCF for 2007
UCF Industry day Outstanding Dissertation Award recipient for 2007
UCF EECS Outstanding Dissertation Award recipient for 2007
ACM Multimedia Best Paper Award nomination for work on Object-based Video Compression in 2005
Led Team UCF and got an honorable mention at ICCV Computer Vision Contest: “Where am I?” in 2005
Asaad Hakeem, Ph.D. - 2 -
1. Javed O, Rasheed Z, Alatas O, Hakeem A, and Shah M. ‘KNIGHTM: A Real Time Surveillance System for Multiple
Overlapping and Non-Overlapping Cameras’. Demo in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), 2003.
2. Asaad Hakeem, Yaser Sheikh, and Mubarak Shah, ‘CASEE: A Hierarchical Event Representation for the Analysis of
Videos’. In the Nineteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), pp.263-268, 2004.
3. Asaad Hakeem and Mubarak Shah, ‘Ontology and Taxonomy Collaborated Framework for Meeting Classification’. In
the 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), pp. 219-222, 2004.
4. Arslan Basharat, Asaad Hakeem, Mubarak Shah, and Abhijit Mahanalobis 'Automatic Target Detection and
Recognition in Video Sensor Network with Stationary and Mobile Nodes'. OE Magazine, Member SPIE, 2005.
5. Asaad Hakeem, Khurram Shafique, and Mubarak Shah, ‘Object-based Video Coding Framework for Static Camera
Videos‘, In the ACM Multimedia Conference, pp.608-617, 2005. (Nominated for Best Paper Award!)
6. Asaad Hakeem and Mubarak Shah, ‘Multiple Agent Event Detection and Representation in Videos‘. In the Twentieth
National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), pp.89-94, 2005.
7. Yun Zhai, Asaad Hakeem, Arslan Basharat, Saad Ali, Jingen Liu, Costantino Grana, and Mubarak Shah, University of
Central Florida at TRECVID 2005, Workshop on TRECVID 2005.
8. Asaad Hakeem, Arslan Basharat, and Mubarak Shah. 'Detection and Tracking of Objects from Multiple Airborne
Cameras', Article in SPIE Newsroom, 2006.
9. Asaad Hakeem, Roberto Vezzani, Mubarak Shah, and Rita Cucchaira. 'Estimating Geospatial Trajectory of a Moving
Camera', In the International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp.82-87, 2006.
10. Asaad Hakeem and Mubarak Shah, ‘Learning, Detection and Representation of Multiple Agent Events in Videos‘, In
Artificial Intelligence Journal, vol.171(8-9), pp.586-605,.2007.
11. Yaser Sheikh, Asaad Hakeem, and Mubarak Shah. 'On the Direct Estimation of the Fundamental Matrix', In
Proceedings of Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), pp.1-7, 2007.
12. Khurram Shafique, Asaad Hakeem, Omar Javed, and Niels Haering, 'Self Calibrating Visual Sensor Networks', IEEE
Workshop on Application of Computer Vision (WACV), 2008.
13. Mun Wai Lee, Asaad Hakeem, and Niels Haering. 'SAVE: A Framework for Semantic Annotation of Visual Events',
Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR) Workshop, 2008.
14. Asaad Hakeem, Mun-Wai Lee, Omar Javed, Niels Haering, 'Semantic Video Search using Natural Language Queries',
ACM International Conference on Multimedia, Beijing, 2009.
15. Asaad Hakeem, Roberto Vezzani, Alper Yilmaz, Mubarak Shah and Rita Cucchiara, 'Using Spatiotemporal Geometric
Constraints for Estimating Trajectories of Hand-held Cameras', Submitted to ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and
Remote Sensing, 2009.
Languages: C, C++, C#, Objective C, Java 2 (EJB + J2EE), Matlab, OpenGL
Dev Environments: Visual C++ (6.0, .Net, 2003, 2005, 2008), Matlab (6.0, 7.0), IBM Visual Age for Java, XCode
Design Tools: Ration Rose (OMT + OO), SELECT (UML + OO Design)
Operating Systems: Windows (95, 98, 2000, XP, NT, Vista), Unix (Knopix, Ubuntu), Mac OS (10.4, 10.5, 10.6)
Database Management: Oracle (7, 8i), SQL, MS SQL Server (2005, 2008), Microsoft Access
Web Development: DHTML, XML/XSL, PERL, PHP, Adobe Photoshop (6.0, 7.0), Macromedia Dreamweaver
Permanent Resident of USA (Green Card)