MONROE COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY
Medical Billing Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Business Department
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Performs all billing aspects of practice – posting charges and payments, claim submission, insurance
verification and authorization, printing of daily reports
Preferred Education: High School diploma or GED. Prefer one year experience,
preferably in a medical office setting.
Preferred Experience: Coding certification preferred; 2 years medical billing, preferably in the
specific area of practice
Special Skills: Preferred experience as per practice specialty, basic keyboarding and computer
skills, ability to multi-tasking
Physical Demands: Prolonged periods of sitting, some standing, walking and some lifting;
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
1. Posts all charges and payment in computer.
2. Submits insurance claims, electronic and paper
3. Prints, balance, post and initializes daily charge/payment journal; prepares daily deposit slip.
4. Research on all unpaid claims with insurance.
5. Responsible for generating patients’ statement and follow up on unpaid patient bills.
6. Verifies patient insurance prior to appointments
7. Obtains insurance authorization numbers as needed.
8. Assist patients with billing questions.
9. Prepare accounts for collections.
10. Sets up patient payment plans according to established policies.
Work is normally performed in a typical interior office setting with moderate noise level. Exposure is to the
usual medical office hazards and diseases. It is a _______ group practice (___ physicians) seeing an
average of ____ patients per day.
Maintains patient confidentiality and respect for all individuals in the practice. Conducts work in a team
This job description is intended to describe the essential job functions of this position and is not intended to
be an all-inclusive statement of job responsibilities.
I have read, understand and am able to perform the duties within the job description. I have received a copy
of this form.
Employee’s Name: Date: