Topic 5: Store Layout, Design and Visual Merchandising (page 1 of 2)
In-Class Exercise Wednesday October 7, 2009: Design a Shoe Store – instructions will be
given in class and this exercise will be completed during class. Participation in this exercise is
worth 5 of the 50 test points for topic 5.
Reading Q&A Friday October 9, 2009: Chapter 18 – read pages 504-532 and come prepared
to ask questions about the outline items that appear below. This chapter contains a lot of
information and it is covered thoroughly. These items will be covered on the Topic test but we will
not discuss all of them in class. Remaining class time will be devoted to the Web Site Project
STORE DESIGN OBJECTIVES
Store Design and Retail Strategy
Influence Customer Buying Behavior
Legal Considerations (ADA Compliant?)
Signage and Graphics
Cash Wraps (POP)
SPACE MANAGEMENT – What is the butt-brush effect?
Space Allocated to Merchandise Categories
Impact on Stare Sales
Location of Merchandise Categories and Design Elements
Location of Merchandise within a Category; The Use of Planograms
Virtual Store Software
Topic 5: Store Layout, Design and Visual Merchandising (page 2 of 2)
Energy Efficient Lighting
WEB SITE DESIGN
Assignment due Monday 10/ 12 – worth 20 of the 50 test points for Topic 5
1. Choose one classmate to be your partner.
2. Read the section of the chapter on web site design (532-534).
3. Select two websites that offer competing lines (include the URLs in your write-up)
4. Using the chapter’s material as an organizational guide, list the pros and cons of each
site (include explanations where necessary)
5. Which site do you like better and why?
6. Send an e-mail to the site you like the least and offer them suggestions for improvement.
Include a copy in your submission. If you later receive a real response (not just an
acknowledgment or basic thanks), bring it in or forward it to email@example.com for a 5
point bonus award.
7. On Monday your written submissions will be collected and teams will be selected to
present their findings to the class.
EZ Test On-line Wednesday October 14 – worth 25 of the 50 test points for Topic 5