Edward A. Lee
Thomas A. Henzinger
Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) S. Shankar Sastry
Claire J. Tomlin
Applications of Cyber-
Cyber-Physical The Vision: Reliable Physical Systems
Systems (CPS): and Evolvable (CPS) Potential
medical devices and systems
assisted living • integrated medical systems
Time-Sensitive • •
traffic control and safety
advanced automotive systems, •
distributed micro power generation
Computational • process control •
computational resources Systems, Integrated • energy conservation • economic dominance
• environmental control • disaster recovery
with physical systems. with Physical • avionics and aviation software • energy efficient buildings
• instrumentation • alternative energy
Processes • critical infrastructure (power, water) • pervasive adaptive
“Networked computers have • distributed robotics (telepresence) communications
• weapons systems • more efficient financial networks
already changed the way Where CPS Differs from • distributed sensing • distributed service delivery
• command and control • social networking and games
humans communicate and General-Purpose Software Systems • manufacturing • … CONTROL
manage information. The software systems problem: • smart structures
Software systems are sets of interacting sequences of • biosystems (morphogenesis,…)
• communications systems
state transformations with the end objective of
The change we envision is to transforming data. Past CPS Events
the way humans manage their The CPS problem:
• "High Confidence Medical Device Software and Systems (HCMDSS)" Workshop, June 2 - 3,
CPS has the end objective of orchestrating physical 2005, Philadelphia, PA.
physical environment, including processes. Timeliness, safety, reliability, security, privacy, • National Workshop on “Aviation Software Systems: Design for Certifiably Dependable
and adaptability all take on a different character. Systems”, October 5-6, 2006, Alexandria, TX.
for example transportation, • NSF Workshop on “Cyber-Physical Systems”, October 16-17, 2006, Austin, TX.
• National Meeting on “Beyond SCADA: Networked Embedded Control for Cyber Physical
energy, health, and Systems”, November 8 & 9, 2006, Pittsburgh, PA.
• National Workshop on “High-Confidence Software Platforms for Cyber-Physical Systems (HCSP-
environmental quality. Where CPS Differs from CPS)”, November 30 – December 1, 2006, Alexandria, VA.
Embedded Software • NSF Industry Round-Table on Cyber-Physical Systems, May 17, 2007, Arlington, VA.
• "Joint Workshop On High-Confidence Medical Devices, Software, and Systems (HCMDSS)
The embedded software problem: and Medical Device Plug-and-Play (MD PnP) Interoperability", June 25-27, 2007, Boston, MA.
This change requires Embedded software is software on small computers. The • International Workshop, “From Embedded Systems to Cyber-Physical Systems: A Review of the
State-of-the-Art and Research Needs”, 4/08, St. Louis, MO. (Sponsored by CHESS)
computing and networking technical problem is one of optimization (coping with • CPSWeek: San Francisco, April 13-16, 2009: 3 Conferences (RTAS/ISPN/HSCC)
limited resources). • NSF CPS Program, $30 million over 5 years, started September, 2009 (CHESS PI Claire Tomlin
technologies to embrace not The CPS problem: leads UC Berkeley’s ActionWebs effort)
just information, but also Computation and networking integrated with physical Upcoming CPS Events
processes. The technical problem is managing time and
physical dynamics. The impact concurrency in networked computational systems.
• CPS Week: Stockholm, April 12-16, 2009: 5 Conferences:
• Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS)
of this change could • International Conference on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN)
• International Conference on Hybrid Systems: Computation and Control (HSCC)
well dwarf that of the • Languages, Compilers and Tools for Embedded Systems (LCTES)
• ACM/IEEE First International Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS)
information revolution.” • ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems
- Helen Gill, NSF Special Issue on The Synthesis of Cyber-Physical Systems (SCPS)
February 11, 2010 Center for Hybrid and Embedded Software Systems