What is solar power energy?
• Energy is the capacity for vigorous activity
or the available power.
• Solar power is energy from the sun's
radiation converted into heat or electricity.
• Sunlight is composed of photons, or
particles of solar energy
How solar power works?
• Works in two main ways:
• Heat from the sun in the form of infrared rays
• Light including ultraviolet rays
• Solar cells
• Or photovoltaic (PVs) cells are used to convert sunlight into
• PV cells are made of special materials called
semiconductors such as silicon, which is currently the most
• Converting to energy
• When photons are absorbed into a PV cell they provide
energy to generate electricity.
• Energy of absorbed light is transferred to the semiconductor.
The energy knocks electrons loose, allowing them to flow
Solar Power vs. Fossil Fuels
Solar Power Fossil Fuels
Renewable Non renewable
Abundant Not enough to fit our
Pollutant Free Harmful to
Inefficient Efficient in providing
Underdeveloped Developed over time
Uses to Solar Power
• Central Power Stations
• Recreational Applications
Why Solar Power?
• The demand for energy is increasing and
our resources are limited.
• The solution should come from a family of
diverse energy technologies that share a