Task Card #1
1. Select three objects to compare the mass.
2. Using your hands, compare the mass of each
object. Discuss with a partner, which object
you believe to be heavier/lighter.
3. Using the pan balance, determine which object
is heavier/lighter, or equal to in mass.
4. Discuss with a partner how you determined
which object was heavier/lighter than the other.
5. Record your observations by writing the name
of the object or drawing a picture of the object
on the recording sheet.
6. Record the order the objects from the heaviest
to the lightest on the recording sheet.
7. Repeat steps 1-6 with three different objects.
8. Reading through the pieces of the Vertical
Alignment Document, identify whether this
activity is most appropriate for Kindergarten,
First, or Second Grade.