Macon County Board of Education
POSITION TITLE: Accountant
JOB GOAL: The job of an Accountant is done for the purpose/s of assisting with the
implementation and maintenance the overall operation of the business office activities and
printing services in conformance to District, State and Federal guidelines; maintaining adequate
staffing to ensure that objectives of programs/services are achieved within budget and comply to
the District’s goals; and supervising assigned staff.
REPORTS TO: Chief School Financial Officer
SUPERVISES: Assigned Staff, if applicable
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a closely related field from an accredited educational
2. Experience in computerized accounting.
3. Comparable amount of experience and training may be substituted for minimum
qualifications based on Board approval.
4. Knowledge of standard office computer applications such as MS Word, Excel, internet
e-mail, or similar programs.
5. Background clearance as specified by Alabama Statutes and State Board of Education
1. Process financial transactions and post to general ledger.
2. Perform month end closing activities and prepare monthly financial statements in
accordance with state and federal procedures.
3. Assist with cash flow and investment analysis and management.
4. Prepare and record bank deposits.
5. Process disbursements to school district vendors.
6. Reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis.
7. Record and reconcile cash transactions related to student activity accounts.
8. Assist in developing, implementing and monitoring internal controls.
9. Assist and/or serve as backup for the payroll and accounts payable function.
10. Prepare and submit financial reports as required by the State of Alabama.
11. Prepare and distribute monthly budget responsibility reports to Administration.
12. Prepare various financial reports and analysis as needed.
13. Prepare schedules, gather information and assist auditors as needed.
14. Prepare annual statement/budget.
15. Other duties as assigned by the Chief School Financial Officer
EMPLOYMENT 12-month work year.
APPLICATION Complete online application if applying from outside the system. If within
the system, please submit a letter of interest.