BODY CONDITIONING & WEIGHT TRAINING
A. The student will increase muscular strength, flexibility, muscular and cardio-vascular endurance.
B. The student will gain knowledge of and demonstrate the proper lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
C. The student will demonstrate the proper use of equipment and safety precautions in the weight room.
D. The student will demonstrate the proper techniques for various warm-up and flexibility exercises.
E. The student will demonstrate various plyometric techniques and activities.
F. The student will demonstrate various cardiovascular and muscular endurance exercises.
G. The student will be able to identify the benefits of various exercises and weight training workouts.
H. The student will understand the benefits of lifetime weight training.
I. The student will elevate their esteem and confidence.
RULES OF THE WEIGHT ROOM
A. Come to the locker room with the proper school attire and your ID properly displayed.
B. Be on time to class and properly dressed to participate. You must be dressed to work out. No jewelry.
C. Do not bring valuables to class. I will not accept responsibility to keep them for you.
D. No FOOD, SODA or CHEWING GUM in the facility (weight room and locker room). Any food must
be eaten before you enter the facility (weight room or locker room).
E. Make an extra effort to clean your shoes before entering the weight room.
F. Help keep the weight room as clean and neat as possible. Throw all trash away in the trashcan.
G. You will have 5 minutes to prepare (change) for class. The locker room will be locked and not opened
till the end of the period.
H. Do not handle other students’ property.
I. You will not be able to leave items in the lockers. Lockers should be clean after each class.
J. Go to your assigned area for attendance check.
K. DO NOT LIFT WITHOUT INSTRUCTOR IN WEIGHT ROOM!
L. Do not leave your assigned area unless you receive permission. Keep all doors closed.
M. The desk is for the teacher. Do not sit on or at this desk. Do not go into the desk unless told to do so.
N. The stereo is my personal property. I do not touch your property and you are not to touch mine!
O. Put collars on all bars.
P. Use proper technique for lifts.
Q. Always have a spotter when lifting free weights.
R. Use proper spotting techniques.
S. Do not stand on benches or put your feet on pads. Take extra care to preserve pads.
T. Always be courteous to others in the class and show respect to the Laney school community.
U. Return all free weights to their correct weight rack or weight tree at the end of period.
V. Wait till you have been dismissed to leave the weight room.
W. Stay off and away from any lawn and maintenance equipment.
X. Do not leave the locker room area until the bell rings.
STUDENTS WHO DO NOT FOLLOW THE ABOVE RULES OF COMMON RESPECT WILL BE
ASSIGNED CONSEQUENCES AND SENT TO THE DEAN.
A. Class Participation 30%
1. Attends Class, on time, prepared for class, in compliance with all school ID and dress codes,
displaying a cooperative and workmanlike attitude, and participates in class activities.
2. If you are too tired to pay attention or participate you should be home resting.
3. Let me know if you are having a “bad day”. Too many bad days will result in a conference to try
and help you have great, positive days.
4. Bathroom activities should be taken care of between classes. There are no outside bathrooms and I
will not be able to carry passes with me.
B. Fitness tests, Speed Development and Cardiovascular Workouts and Test. 25%
1. We will use the President’s Physical Fitness Scores for our testing standards.
2. 2 mile and mile test.
3. Push ups, Sit ups
3. Agility - Shuttle and Jump Rope
4. Flexibility - Sit and Reach
4. Speed - 40 yard and 100 meter
5. Power – Standing Broad Jump
C. Maximum lift scores 25%
1. Bench, Squat, Clean and Dead Lifts
2. The Bigger, Faster Stronger standards will be used for our testing standards.
D. Current Event Summary 10 %
1. A current event summary is required on any health topic each Friday.
2. A paragraph summary, a paragraph critique and a copy of the article are required.
3. NO ARTICLES ACCEPTED AFTER THE TUESDAY BEFORE THE FINAL EXAM.
E. Final Exam 10%
1. The final exam will come from the quizzes and tests taken before the exam.
FAILURE TO PARTICIPATE/ABSENT/TARDIES
A. IF YOU DO NOT PARTICIPATE YOU WILL NOT BE SUCCESSFUL
B. Total lack of participation will result in a zero. Refusal to do certain activities will reduce daily grade.
C. Zero grades, unexcused absence and unexcused lateness will not be able to be made up.
D. Medical reasons for nonparticipation require a Dr. note.
E. An excused absence will be made up with the various “extra credit” opportunities you receive.
EXPECTED BEHAVIOR GUIDELINES
A. Respect for other students, staff, and Laney property will be observed at all times.
B. Talking inappropriately will not be tolerated. All questions and answers require a raised hand.
1. RESPECT (attentive silence) will be given to anyone addressing the class.
C. Every student has the right to learn and feel safe in class, free from ridicule.
1. School is a place for learning. Learning is best accomplished in a serious atmosphere.
Our classroom environment will be a relaxed but business like atmosphere.
2. Honesty, integrity and hard work are values your family and school community expect and
Parent’s Signature ________________________________Phone Number ________________________________