Research Passport by jG7GtM6s


									                             Research Passport Procedure


The Research Passport procedure is the mechanism for obtaining an honorary research
contract from the NHS for researchers who:

      will have a direct impact on patient care, for example, providing prevention,
       diagnosis or treatment of illness
      will have access to identifiable patient information
      Will have indirect contact with patients/service users whose research has a direct
       bearing on the quality of their care, for example, some types of telephone
      wish to access "with consent" identifiable patient data, tissues or organs with likely
       direct bearing on the quality of their care (with likely impact on prevention,
       diagnosis or treatment).

The research passport:

      lists the pre-engagement checks required to conduct the proposed research. These
       could include an up-to-date Disclosure Scotland check and Occupational Health
      relies on assurances offered by those employers who have already conducted these
       checks, to be accepted by the NHS hosts as part of issuing Honorary Research
      Avoids the need for duplicate checks at other NHS sites where the study is to be
      is also the means by which a researcher can obtain a Letter of Access for research
       activity which will have no direct bearing on patient care.

Please note:

      The passport procedure should also be used to gain an honorary contract for single
       site studies.
      The output of the research passport process is an honorary research contract for an
       NHS trust. The passport must be presented to all research sites to obtain an
       honorary contract for each site
      The research passport is research project specific. Therefore researchers must state
       which projects they will be conducting when making the application.
      The research passport, honorary contract or letter of access is required for all new
       studies. Previous studies will not have to reapply for new honorary contracts unless
       the current contract has expired.
      Students applying for a Research Passport or Letter of Access must be a University
       of Stirling student registered on a recognised programme of study. This process is
       not available to students who are academic visitors at the University of Stirling or
       who have a similar status.
The following do not need a Research Passport:

       Clinical academics
       Researchers conducting research where the participants are NHS staff
       Researchers who already have an honorary research contract with the NHS
       Researchers whose research does not require any checks or an honorary research
        contract, that is, research which does not have a direct bearing on the quality of
        care. For example, forms of laboratory work and access to anonymous patient data,
        tissues or organs only.
       Placement students supervised by an NHS employee within clinical settings.

Researchers who do not require an honorary contract may require additional pre-
engagement checks to undertake permitted research activities in NHS organisations. In
addition, researchers who do not require an honorary research contract may require a
Letter of Access before a project can commence. The Letter of Access confirms the
responsibilities of the researcher and rights of access to conduct research within the NHS


The Principal Investigator must apply for permission to conduct the research in the NHS
organisation. The Research Passport does not remove the need to apply to the Research
department of the NHS organisation for permission or to apply for ethical review.

How do I get a Research Passport?

       Guidance on how to complete the form can be located on the NHS website:
       The relevant sections of the Research Passport Form should be completed.
       Ask your line manager (or other authorised person) to complete their sections of the
       Take your form to the HR & OD department to complete section 5. Please note that
        the HR & OD Department will only complete section 5 for University of Stirling
        employees and not students.
       You may need to complete occupational health assessments, and/or a Disclosure
        Scotland form, and/or provide additional documents.
       The HR & OD department will sign off the form and return it to you.
       Take the completed Research Passport form with attachments to the lead NHS
       Once the form has been authorised by one NHS organisation it becomes a valid
        Research Passport that you can provide to other NHS organisations.

To top