Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Pikes Peak Community College


									                       Pikes Peak Community College
         Transfer Opportunities: A Guide for PPCC Faculty Advisors
Many Pikes Peak Community College students plan to go to a four-year college.
Some students don’t plan on it, but end up deciding to transfer later. If your
advisees fall into these categories, you are probably being asked some of the
following questions.

                              What courses transfer?
                             Where should I transfer?
                             When should I transfer?
                   What special preparations should I be making?
                            How should I go about it?
                                  Who can help?

The Pikes Peak Community College’s Guide for Faculty Advisors provides you
with information on transfer opportunities which will assist you in advising
students who may be completing the transfer process.

In addition it will provide:

       1)      information about course selection and entrance into courses and
               programs at four-year colleges and universities.
       2)      information on special admissions privileges and scholarships
               available at four-year schools.
       3)      schedules of advising representatives from four-year colleges who
               have regularly scheduled office hours on PPCC’s campuses or visit
               PPCC campuses to provide additional information.
       4)      contact names and information for most four-year colleges and
               universities transfer coordinators/advisors.
       5)      information on transfer of credit to College’s that have agreements
               with and special considerations for PPCC graduates.
       6)      information on the Colorado Community College System 60+60
               Bachelor’s Degree Transfer Program.

Planning ahead while being enrolled at Pikes Peak Community College will help
make the transfer process go more smoothly. PPCC students are encouraged to
consult with faculty advisors on a regular basis to determine which programs or
courses will best suit their goals.

After a degree audit or an evaluation of credit advising session is completed, it
may be possible for students to revise their programs at Pikes Peak Community
College to make up deficiencies or complete additional course requirements, if

Faculty advisors should help outline and plan the appropriate courses in the
proper sequence. Pikes Peak Community College is accredited, and credits
earned here are readily transferable to four-year colleges and universities with
the following exceptions:

       1)     Grades of “D” and below will not be accepted by four-year colleges
              and universities.
       2)     Credit for non-college level developmental or remedial courses is
              not transferable.
       3)     Some colleges will request placement or competency entrance
              examinations at or before registration to determine the exact level
              of achievement in certain areas. Course placement may depend
              on the results of these examinations.
       4)     Classes from certificate and AGS, or AAS degrees may not be

The sooner a student decides on a major and the particular four-year college or
university he or she wants to attend, the easier it will be to plan a program at
Pikes Peak Community College. Students should not wait until their last
semesters at Pikes Peak Community College to make such decisions. In some
cases, four-year colleges and universities require that students “register” with
them as potential transfers. After registration, and upon completion of
requirements, these students will then qualify for scholarship programs, waiver of
application fees, etc.

Colorado has adopted a new guaranteed, state-wide transfer program for
students who enter Pikes Peak Community College in academic year 2003-2004.
If a student completes an AA/AS degree which includes at least 35 hours from
the list of guaranteed transfer courses, with at last a “C” grade in every course in
the AA/AS, then 60 hours of the AA/AS are guaranteed to transfer and apply
toward graduation credits in baccalaureate degrees in Liberal Arts and Sciences
at every Colorado four-year public institution except the Colorado School of
Mines. The student is guaranteed to finish the baccalaureate degree in just
another 60 hours. See the CCHE web site below for a list of degrees to which
this guarantee applies. This does not apply to degrees that have current state-
wide transfer agreements, e.g. Teacher Preparation, Business, Engineering, and
Nursing. These agreements remain in effect.

Currently enrolled transfer students subject to the requirements of catalog year
2002/2003 or earlier have two options. They may elect to remain under the
current community college CORE degree requirements and transfer agreement if
they complete the current community college CORE by the end of summer 2005.
Or, they may elect to transfer to the new state-wide guaranteed system.
Students will remain in their current degree plan unless they elect to change to
the state-wide guaranteed system.

In addition, Pikes Peak Community College has "articulation" agreements for a
variety of majors with many public and private colleges in Colorado and
throughout the United States. These agreements outline the best program path
to take at Pikes Peak Community College in preparation for transfer to a college
in a given curriculum.

Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Transfer Students
The Colorado Commission on Higher Education’s Statewide Transfer Policy is
designed to ensure access to undergraduate degree programs and facilitate the
completion of degree requirements. Students, upon completion of the state
guaranteed general education courses, will have those courses satisfy the
general education course requirements at all Colorado public institutions of
higher education in liberal arts and science programs. Students should be able
to complete their associate of arts and associate of sciences degree programs in
no more than 60 credit hours or their baccalaureate programs in no more than
120 credit hours unless there are additional degree requirements recognized by
the CCHE.

Colorado’s state guaranteed general education transfer courses (previously
known as The CORE) allow students to begin their general education courses at
any Colorado public higher education institution and later transfer to another
without loss of general education credits. This policy ensures that students who
successfully complete a guaranteed general education course will receive
transfer credit applied to graduation requirements in all majors at all public
institutions unless a specific statewide articulation agreement exists.

The Colorado statewide general education curriculum is organized into five
categories. Students are required to take 11 courses or 35 – 37 semester credit
hours and earn a “C” grade or better in each course. All of these courses are
identified by a state-assigned common number.

Students, in consultation with their faculty advisors, decide which courses that
meet these requirements will best help them complete their goals at PPCC.

Associate of General Studies, Associate of Applied Science or
Certificate Program Transfer Students
Some students completing Associate of General Studies, Associate of Applied
Science or Certificate Programs decide to transfer to a college or university.
Pikes Peak Community College has articulation and transfer agreements with
several colleges and universities which allow for optimal transfer of
vocational/technical coursework. Students completing AGS, AAS, or certificate
programs at PPCC acquire management, leadership, critical thinking, and
communication skills. Upon completion of a career or technical degree, these
students often elect to transfer to four-year programs in their areas of
professional specialization. Schools such as the University of Northern Colorado
offer Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) degrees, and Bachelor of Applied
Technology (BAT) degrees. In addition, many of the area and regional adult-
oriented college programs have entered into special articulation agreements
designed to allow PPCC completers to easily transition into four-year programs.
Colleges such as Regis University, DeVry University, and the University of
Phoenix have specific agreements with PPCC. The 60+60 Bachelor’s Degree
Transfer Program does not appiy to AGS and AAS degrees. Advisors of
students in AGS, AAS, or certificate programs may contact their Department
Chairs and Deans or the Office of Articulation and Transfer (X6012 or 6094) for
additional information.

Some students taking transfer courses do not intend to complete degree
requirements prior to leaving PPCC. Many transfer students are attending PPCC

       1)     correct academic deficiencies or strengthen academic skills.
       2)     complete prerequisites for admission to a particular college or for a
              major field.
       3)     explore the possibility of a major field of study.
       4)     prove they can succeed at the college level.
       5)     earn college credits that will transfer.

A student who approaches wishing to transfer to a four-year college or university
needs to be asked the following questions:

       Have you accomplished your goals at Pikes Peak Community College?

       Is your grade-point average acceptable to transfer to another school?

       Have you completed the courses you will need?

       Are you confident in your ability?

       Are you prepared to select a major program of study?

       Are you ready for the financial costs of a four-year college or university?

If students have completed only a few college credits prior to transfer, they will be
considered “freshmen,” not transfer applicants, by most colleges. Generally,
students need to complete one year of college credit (26-30 semester hours) to
qualify as transfer applicants. In many cases, only students who actually
graduate from PPCC will receive the special privileges some colleges and
universities offer our graduates.

When colleges evaluate a transfer applicant, they will place more weight on
previous grades, and attach less significance to high school records or
standardized test scores. A "C" cumulative grade-point average (2.0 on Pikes
Peak Community College's 5 point scale) is a minimum needed for transfer.
Many colleges require higher grade-point averages for some, or all, programs.
On average, a minimum of 60-72 credits earned at a community college may be
applied toward a four-year degree. Some colleges accept more transfer credits.
Consult individual transfer agreements for additional information. Be certain
advisees have completed all course prerequisites needed for admission to the
program they are interested in.

Students should be encouraged to consider the benefits of earning an associate
in arts or associate in science degree:

      1)     Pikes Peak Community College’s tuition rate is approximately 1/3 of
             the cost of most public four-year colleges and universities in

      2)     Many colleges and universities in Colorado offer preferential
             treatment for admission for graduates of Pikes Peak Community

      3)     Colorado public colleges and universities guarantee community
             college graduates admission with junior status.

      4)     Completion of a degree shows a student’s success at the College

      5)     The 60+60 Bachelor’s Degree Transfer Program allows students
             beginning classes in the fall of 2003 or later to follow the guidelines
             established for the 60+60 Bachelor’s Degree Transfer Program.
             Completion of the 60+60 Bachelor’s Degree Transfer Program and
             an AA or AS degree with a grade of C or better in each class
             qualifies the student to transfer under this policy in liberal arts and
             sciences to public four-year colleges and universities in Colorado.
             Some programs have specific course requirements. The 60 + 60
             AA/AS Approved Electives List may be accessed at:
             NOTE: Degrees that have current state-wide agreements
             (Teacher preparation, Business, Engineering, and Nursing)
             have specific course requirements. These agreements may be
             found at:

Faculty advisors should inform their transfer students of requirements of transfer
institutions. Examples of these are:

      1)     High school transcript
      2)     Transcripts from all colleges previously attended
      3)     Test scores--usually ACT or SAT, although many colleges waive
             this requirement if you have earned a degree or have a year or
             more of college credit (30+ credits)
      4)     Personal recommendations from people such as your counselor,
             advisor, instructors, or employer.
      5)     An application essay.
      6)     A portfolio (for students in the visual arts) or a personal interview or
             audition (for students in theatre/music).
      7)     Information about co-curricular activities.

When completing transfer applications, students should supply all information the
college asks for. Have Pikes Peak Community College and every other college
they have attended (and, if necessary, a high school) send an official transcript.
Students should be reminded that almost all colleges will charge an application
fee (usually between $20 and $50), so submitting a number of applications can
be expensive. Some Colorado colleges waive application fees for community
college graduates.

There are many excellent colleges and universities in the State of Colorado.
Nationally, as well, students may choose from a wide selection of colleges and
universities. Students should be encouraged to take a systematic approach,
look around, and ask questions. Here are some considerations students should
look at before making transfer decisions:

      Size of College             Location of College
      Affordability               Pursuing Financial Assistance
      Commuting                   Living on Campus

Students should also look at the availability of their chosen program field,
whether or not they meet the requirements for transfer admission, and the kinds
of special services that are available for students (i.e. tutoring, child-care,
mentoring, job placement, study skills, note-taking, readers, interpreters, etc.).

Internet Links of Interest

The Colorado Community College System has a web page outlining statewide
community college transfer opportunities. Information includes Credit for Prior
Learning, Statewide Transfer of AA or AS Degrees, Statewide Transfer
Agreements, and contact information for appeals.

gtPathways on the Colorado Commission of Higher Education (CCHE) web site
(find the link next to Colorado Mentor and Extended Campus marked
gtPathways) includes information on the new course matrix numbers, which
courses are guaranteed for transfer statewide, and the content area/subcategory
in which the courses are identified. Statewide transfer agreements maintained by
CCHE may be accessed by clicking on the “Academic Affairs” button on the left
and then on “Transfer.”

Colorado Mentor is a student services web site representing the colleges and
universities of Colorado. It includes information on planning for college, selecting
a campus, transfer and applications, financial aid, obtaining transcripts, and
career planning.

A comprehensive link to main web pages of other colleges and universities in the
United States and overseas.

Individual course transfer agreements, maintained by four-year colleges and
universities, list course-by-course equivalencies for students transferring prior
to completing the AA/AS degree. These course-by-course listings are available
in the agreements section below. Students wishing to transfer after completing
AA/AS degrees should work closely with their faculty advisor to follow 60 + 60
requirements or approved articulation agreements.

PPCC has developed transfer agreements, special program privileges, or an
educational partnership with the following colleges and universities:


To top