4 Branches of Earth Science Preview
Activity for Monday’s Lab!
Team 6-B Science!!!
What are the 4 branches of earth
• 1. Geology is the study of the origin, history,
and structure of the Earth and the processes
that shape the Earth.
• 2. The scientific study of the sea and/or water
is called Oceanography or Hydrology.
• 3. The study of Earth’s atmosphere, especially
weather and climate is called Meteorology.
• 4. Astronomy is the study of the universe.
Preview activity procedures..
• Step 1- read each clue carefully
• Step 2- work with your partner in finding the
movie poster in the room that matches best with
• Step 3- write the name of the movie poster on
your dry-erase board.
• Step 4- When you see or hear “Gimme 5” stop
and look up front for the announcement of the
• Step 5- if you get it correct, you get one point.
• Meteorology can deal with clouds..like cloudy
skies in a weather forecast_________
• In Astronomy, we will learn about two of
these…they are solar and lunar ________
• In Meteorology, we also deal with Earth’s
atmosphere and the what it is made up of, like
the AIR that we breathe_________
• In Geology, we can dig deep into the soil,
creating these and learn about the layers of
the soil or the horizons
• In Meteorology, severe storms are part of this,
including the dangers of lightning________
• In Astronomy, we even study the planets, like
the “red planet.” __________
• In Astronomy, we also study small bodies that
are found in our solar system, like a streak of
light seen in the night sky created by one of
• In Geology, we study about rocks. Especially
the _____main groups of rocks.
• In Hydrology/Oceanography, we study the
bottom of the ocean, including animals with
big teeth that could be found there_____
• Hydrology is the study of water, like ponds,
the water cycle, currents, waves, etc…______
• In Geology, we also study about plate
tectonics and big cracks in the Earth’s surface
caused by the shaking of the ground from
• In Geology, we also study about the eruptions
of these, hot spots, the ring of fire_____
• In Meteorology, global and local are two types
of these that blow around in different parts of
• In Geology, salinity levels are studied and this
substance you even have on french fries that
makes it taste even better______
• In Astronomy, there are 3 different types of
these that we will study..They are..spiral,
elliptical, and irregular. Our Milky Way is one
of these and it is classified as a spiral._____
• In Astronomy, we also study the different
moon phases, like the phase when we can’t
see the moon. It appears dark to us. This is
• In Meteorology, we also talk about 4 types of
precipitation…They are sleet, snow, hail
• The “Aurora Borealis” is a beautiful, multi-
color light display that can be seen in the sky.
This is part of the layers of the atmosphere
which is part of Meteorology. What poster
also has these same beautiful colors in it?
• In Geology, we study about the layers of the
Earth. These include the crust, mantle, and
the outer and inner_______
• In Astronomy, there is one planet that is no
longer classified as a planet that we will study.
It is now known as a “Dwarf” planet. Which
poster has that on it?