1. How did the Plessy v. Ferguson case legalize segregation?
2. What world event inspired African Americans to fight for civil rights at home?
3. What issues did the NAACP use to challenge the Plessy decision?
4. How did Thurgood Marshall help advance the cause of civil rights?
5. How did the Brown decision affect the cause of civil rights?
6. Why did the Supreme Court issue a second ruling enforcing the Brown decision?
7. What caused the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
8. How did the boycott end?
9. Who inspired Martin Luther King, Jr.?
10. What were the central points of Dr. King’s philosophy?
11. How did young people respond to King’s leadership?
12. What was SNCC?
13. How did the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) influence SNCC?
14. How did sit-ins advance the cause of the civil rights movement?
1. What did the freedom riders hope to achieve?
2. How did the violence against the riders affect President Kennedy?
3. How did civil rights organizers integrate Southern campuses and towns?
4. Who was James Meredith?
5. How did television coverage of the Birmingham marchers affect legislation?
6. Why did civil rights activists organize the March on Washington?
7. What famous speech was given at the March?
8. Did the March achieve its goals?
9. What prevented millions of African Americans from voting in the South?
10. How did civil rights workers try to win a voting rights act?
11. What did the Voting Rights Act of 1965 guarantee?
1. What caused the division in the civil rights movement?
2. What were some of the causes of urban voting in the 1960’s?
3. What was Malcolm X’s appeal as a leader to African Americans?
4. How did Malcolm X alienate Black Muslims?
5. How did the Black Panthers reflect a growing radicalism in segments of the movement?
6. What was Martin Luther King’s response to the rhetoric of Black Power?
7. Why was King visiting Memphis when he was assassinated?
8. What happened in cities across America after King’s assassination?
9. What was the Kerner Commission?
10. Did the civil rights movement end de jure segregation and de facto segregation?
11. What were some accomplishments of the civil rights movement?