Chapter 2 Questions-
1. Charlie tried to make a joke when he asked Lyddie if they were
an “ox or mule” team. (page 11) What did he mean? Why was it
2. Responsibility questions: Would children today be able to
assume the responsibility that Charlie and Lyddie did? What
would stand in their way even if they were hard-working? What
social agencies would step in?
3. What had Mamma thought of the Stevens? What was your
impression of Quaker Stevens and his wife?
4. What did the author mean, “Envy crept up like a noxious vine.
Lyddie snapped it off, but the roots were deep and beyond her
5. How much schooling had Lyddie and Charles had? How old
6. Do you think Lyddie and Charles should have kept the money
from the sale of the heifer? Why or why not?