Williamson County School District
The job of Webmaster was established for the purpose/s of developing, implementing, documenting and maintaining assigned
Internet applications; troubleshooting problems and managing related internal systems' and applications' projects; defining and
monitoring "look and feel" for all District pages; and supporting the development of subordinate sites.
• Assists a variety of content providers and departments for the purpose of updating, enhancing and/or modifying information within
pages of the Internet and/or Intranet site.
• Creates standards for design, navigation and browser compatibility (e.g. accessibility, fonts, formatting, icons, images, layout
techniques, and modularization, including maintenance of template and image archives, etc.) for the purpose of meeting District
goals and presenting a consistent image within the community.
• Develops a variety of reports, databases and/or web applications for the purpose of meeting district requirements.
• Installs new software and service packs for the purpose of upgrading and enhancing departmental capabilities.
• Maintains manual and electronic documents, files and records (e.g. publication archives, etc.) for the purpose of providing up-to-
date reference materials.
• Manages user and group read/write access to web servers, backup, recovery and security processes for the purpose of maintaining
Internet, Intranet and data security and/or operations.
• Oversees website/s and homepage/s (e.g. format, content, maintenance, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining current and accurate
• Participates in a variety of planning and development activities, including districtwide committees for the purpose of creating short
and long range plans for programming support to the district.
• Prepares written materials (e.g. procedures, usage reports, memos, letters, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing
written reference, and/or conveying information.
• Researches a variety of topics related to materials, equipment and/or work aids (e.g. software, supplies, vendors, etc.) for the
purpose of making recommendations for solutions that address specific requirements and/or enhancing overall efficiency of
• Responds to a variety of inquires (e.g. teachers, other district personnel, community agencies, the public, etc.) for the purpose of
assisting in the use and expansion of web-related applications.
• Troubleshoots hardware and/or software problems for the purpose of providing technical advice and training, resolving problems
and/or compiling concise descriptions to forward to technicians.
• Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Job Description: Webmaster Printed: 11/24/2009 Page 1
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job
conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: using pertinent
software applications (e.g. MS Office, Java, HTML authoring, SQL, MySQL, MySQL, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.); planning and
managing projects; web program scripting (ASP, Perl, PHP, JSP); preparing and maintaining accurate records; and various operating
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform algebra and/or geometry; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or
facilitate group discussions; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform
the functions of the job include: elements of graphic design and layout; current generation operating systems, server and virtual host
management; composition software including Linux and Apple operating systems; concepts of grammar and punctuation; web design,
programming and site creation; and LINUX/OSX system administration.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a variety of
factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with
data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using a variety of processes. Ability is also required to work
with a wide diversity of individuals; work with similar types of data; and utilize a variety of types of job-related equipment. Problem
solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of
guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is significant. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform
the functions of the job include: communicating with persons of varied backgrounds and technical expertise; communicating technical
information to non-technical audiences; establishing and maintaining effective relationships; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting
priorities; working as part of a team; and working with frequent interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or
coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to
perform the job's functions. There is some opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying,
pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job
requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Experience Job related experience is required.
Education Targeted job related education that meets organization’s prerequisite requirements.
Equivalency None Specified
Required Testing Certificates & Licenses
None Specified Certified Internet Web Professional (CIW) certification preferred
Continuing Educ. / Training Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
FLSA Status Approval Date Salary Grade
Non Exempt Classified 26
Job Description: Webmaster Printed: 11/24/2009 Page 2