“The Scarlet Ibis” Reading Check Quiz
1. The scarlet ibis lands,
a. in Old Woman Swamp
b. in the cotton fields
c. in the bleeding tree
2. According to Aunt Nicey, dead birds, especially red ones are,
a. Good luck
b. A sign of the resurrection
c. Bad luck
3. At the end of the story, during the storm, the narrator
a. Told Doodle to stay at home
b. Rescued Doodle who was stuck in the mud
c. Abandoned Doodle
4. What happens to Doodle and what is your reaction to the end?
5. What is significant about the Scarlet Ibis?
6. Do you think that Doodle’s brother was too hard on him or do you think that he
helped his brother? Explain.
7. What literary element is focused on and used within The Scarlet Ibis?