Thank you for volunteering to assist the students at JA BizTown. The job you have here
today is very important. Please read and use the helpful hints listed below as you work
with this business. If you have any questions or concerns, please ask a JA BizTown staff
1. Encourage all students to read their Job Manuals carefully.
2. Before the music plays, the Environmental Specialist will go to the Supply Center
with the check to purchase supplies.
3. City Hall will borrow money from the Bank. The Mayor will take the Loan
Application and Promissory Note to the Bank after the music plays.
4. With the exception of the Supply Center check and payroll, the Town Treasurer
should only print checks when payment is requested.
5. When the Town Treasurer takes a business deposit to the Bank, the deposit will
consist of a business deposit ticket and the multiple checks/cash making up the total
deposit. Only ONE deposit should be taken to the Bank at a time.
6. Be certain that the Mayor takes the population count. The Mayor will write the
population count on the board in City Hall. Make sure the Mayor gives the Census
Count Sheet to the Supply/Delivery Center when complete.
7. Encourage the Mayor to get as many citizens as possible into City Hall to vote.
Become familiar with the voting process. The voting computer is located just outside
8. Near the end of the day, a JA Biz Town staff member will provide the voter count for
the Mayor to record on the Mayor's Closing Town Meeting Guide.
9. The Mayor will be doing a Quality Business Survey today. At the Closing Town
Meeting, an award will be presented to the employees of the “Quality Business of
the Day”. Assist the Mayor to read the survey directions carefully. City Hall is not
eligible for this award.
10. The Attorney will be solving at least one case and will be required to investigate
clues from various businesses. Assist him/her, if necessary, with understanding
these clues and solving the cases. He/she will give a speech at the Closing Town
Meeting reporting the results of the cases.
11. Assist other City Hall employees (Non Profit Director, Environmental Specialist, etc.)
to perform their job responsibilities. The fees collected should be recorded on their
laminated checklist, and then be placed in the Check Box by the town Treasure for
deposit. The Non-Profit Director will give a speech at the Closing Town Meeting.
12. Become familiar with the IRS Agent’s tax collection process and W-4 Forms, as
he/she may need your assistance today.
13. At the end of the day, be certain that all Student and Volunteer Manuals remain in the