Some verbs have another
verb after them in
sentences. The second
verb is in the to form.
We call it infinitive.
• Sally never forgets to do her homework.
• I agreed to go with them.
• We decided to go out for dinner.
• I hope to study in France.
• We plan to visit her tomorrow.
用原形。不定式的肯定式为to do …，否
定式为not to do …。
常用的不定式结构有：want to do … /
arrange to do… / decide to do… / agree to
do … / hope to do… / plan to do… / refuse
to do… / forget to do… / remember to do…
/ ask sb. (not) to do … / invite sb. to do … /
tell sb. (not) to do…等。
Do you want me to go with you?
Our teacher often tells us not to talk
Lin Li invited me to play table tennis
with her last Sunday.
Please fill in the following blanks with the
right forms of the given words.
1. We decided _______ lunch. (have)
2. They failed _______ the test. (pass)
3. She forgot _______ her book. (bring)
4. I hope _______ in Canada. (study)
5. He managed _______ his pen. (find)
6. They offered _______ us. (help)
7. We plan ________ her tomorrow. (visit)
8. I promise _______ good. (be)
Answer these questions. Look at the interview on
page 18 if necessary. Put one more words in each
1. Who did ken decide to question?
He __________________ Li’s two _______.
decided to question friends
2. What did ken hope to find out?
hoped to find out
He __________________ who stole the vase
3. What did Li want to get?
He _____________ money from the insurance
wanted to get _______
4. What did Li try to do?
He ______________ go to jail instead of
tried to make Jill
In some sentences
with two verbs, the
second verb can be in
the –ing form. We call
the second verb gerund.
Ken gets to know more about Jill. He reaches some
conclusions about her. Look at the pictures below
and complete ken’s conclusion. Use two verbs in the
box for each sentence with one verb in the –ing form.
dance practise paint love
listen suggest shop hate
enjoy climb read like
wait finish sing go
1. She _______ _______ to music.
2. She _______ ________.
3. She _______ ________.
4. She ______ _______ for people.
5. She often _______ ________.
6. She often ________ _________.
7. She often __________ __________.
8. She usually eats something when she
________reading a book.
Please fill in the following blanks with
the right forms of the given words.
1. She enjoys __________. (swim)
2. They finished _______ their homework. (do)
3. He prefers _______ (read) to _______ (write).
4. I hate ________ medicine. (take)
5. I like ________ English. (learn)
6. I love _________ abroad. (travel)
7. Would you mind _______ me? (help)
8. She practised _______ every evening. (sing)
1. It’s impossible for him (say) ________ things like
2. The film is a bit boring. People started (leave)
________ before it was over.
to leave/ leaving
3. When I travel, I prefer (drive) ________ to (take)
________ a plane.
you remember (give) ________ Jake my
message? to give / giving
5. He tried again and again (make) ________ his
parents change theirs minds.
6. After a long walk, they stopped (have)
________ a rest.
7. You will take the oral exam by (give)
________ a presentation of your project.
( D)1. After finishing his homework he went on
____ a letter to his parents.
A. write B. writing C. wrote D. to write
( B)2. As she will enjoy ____ from me, please re
member ____ this letter on your way to school.
A. hear; post B. hearing; to post
C. hear; posting D. hearing; to posting
(A )3. He refused ____ shopping with his
A. to go B. going C. go D. to going
( B)4. I hope ____ you in better spirits when
we meet again.
A, find B. to find C. finding D. found