Rhetoric is the art of adapting the ideas, structure, and style of a piece of
writing to the audience, occasion, and purpose for which the discourse is
1. State the subject in a few words or a short phrase.
2. What is the occasion—the time and place of the piece; the current
situation; historical background that encouraged the writing to happen.
3. Who is the audience—the group of readers to whom this piece is
4. What is the purpose— the reason it was written?
5. Who is the speaker—the voice that tells the story—remember the
speaker is not always the author.
6. What is the tone—the attitude of the author—toward the subject.