Review Guide for Unit V Test
Directions: Fill out the following review guide using notes on the characteristics of human
1. Why are birth rates higher in developing countries?
2. Why do some countries have an aging population?
3. Why does China have more males than females?
4. List two countries in East Asia that have homogeneous populations?
5. List five factors that affect population distribution.
6. Why do most people live along the Nile River in Egypt?
7. Why is it difficult for people to live in tropical wet climate zones?
8. List three examples of areas where conflict has affected population distribution.
9. What is population density?
10. What is physiological density?
11. What continent has the largest population in the world?
12. What has the greatest impact on limiting population growth?
13. List the six factors that affect population growth.
14. What country has a policy to limit population growth?
15. List five push factors that lead to human migration.
16. Where has desertification caused human migration?
17. Why do many Hispanic people migrate to the United States?
18. Why have many Cubans migrated to the United States?
19. Why does Wal-Mart have signs in English and Spanish?
20. What area has a strong guest worker program to provide labor for the oil industry?
21. List the six functions of towns and cities.
22. What city is the center for the religion of Islam?
23. How did the function of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania change over time?
24. When the Erie Canal was built it changed the trade patterns related to what city?
25. Why does the Western United States have many ghost towns?
26. What is the site of Richmond, Virginia?
27. What is the site of Paris, France?
28. What is the site of Quebec, Canada?
29. What is the site of Jerusalem, Israel?
30. What is the site of Damascus, Syria?
31. What is a confluence site?
32. What city commands the land between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers?
33. List two cities that grew up along the U.S. Transcontinental Railroad?
34. What city grew up as a supply station for ships?
35. What city grew up as a stop on the Trans-Sahara trade route in Northern Africa?
36. What city commands the land bridge between Europe and Asia?
37. What is site and what is situation?
38. List five ways urban areas influence the regions around them.
39. What part of the world is most likely to have shantytowns due to the rapid growth of urban
40. What is one of the major results of urban sprawl?