AP English Literature and Composition Character
Name(s) _______________________________________________________________ Score _____ / 30
I. Provide an example of each of these literary terms for character from any of the short stories in
Saving Sourdi by May-Lee Chai (Page 121)
1. How does your response to Nea develop over the course of the story?
Is she a dynamic or static character? Explain.
2. Explain how Nea and Sourdi serve as character foils to each other.
3. Discuss whether you think Duke is a flat or round character. Provide examples from the story to
support your view.
4. What is the effect of the story’s being told from Nea’s perspective?
How might the story be different if it were told from the mother’s point of view?
5. Do you think Mr. Chhay is a good or bad husband? Explain why you think that way.
6. How does the information about Nea and Sourdi’s trip through the minefield affect your
understanding of Nea’s relationship with her sister?
7. Comment on the title. Why wouldn’t an alternative like “Nea the Troublemaker” be appropriate?
Bartleby, the Scrivener A Story of Wall Street by Herman Melville (Page 135)
1. How does the lawyer’s description of himself serve to characterize him?
Why is it significant that he is a lawyer and not another profession?
2. Why do you think Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut are introduced before Bartleby?
3. How is Bartleby’s physical description a foreshadowing of what happens to him?
4. How does Bartleby’s “I would prefer not to” affect the routine of the lawyer and his employees?
5. Who is the protagonist of this story?
6. Does the lawyer change during the story?
Who is the story’s antagonist? Why?
7. Do you think Melville sympathizes more with Bartleby or with the lawyer? Why?
8. Discuss the story’s humor and how it affects your response to Bartleby.
Baglady by A. S. Byatt (Page 163)
1. Explain whether you think Daphne Gulver-Robinson is a sympathetic character.
2. Describe the antagonist.
What is the conflict?
Is it resolved? Why or why not?
3. Can Lady Scroop, Rollo, and the policeman be accurately labeled as stock characters?
Tell why you think they can or can’t be.
4. How do your feelings about Daphne develop over the course of the story?
5. Why do you suppose Byatt names the shopping center the Good Fortune Mall?