Presenting Yourself on the UC
Application & Personal Statement
• Tips for Counselors
• Student Preparation
• Comprehensive Review of the Application
• Filling Out the Application Basics
• The Importance of Accurate Details
• The Personal Statement
• Submitting the Application
Tips for Counselors
• Create your own application
• Yearly improvements to the online
application make it easier to complete
• Application questions are intuitive:
• Only asks questions applicable to the student
(may be based on answers from previous
parts of the application)
• Prepare early
• Research campuses
• Gather materials
• Use the checklist in the Applying to the University
• Email communication is important!
• Apply broadly
• Brainstorm specific concrete examples that you are
proud of throughout high school
• Get reviews of your personal statement and revise,
Application Time Line
October 1-31 UC Application Opens
November 1-30 Submit online UC Application
Late January Update December Test Results
March Notification of Admission
May 1 SIR (Statement of Intent to Register)
Deadline – Freshman
To access the UC online application, visit:
Requirements vs. Selection
• Every UC campus gets the same application
• Every UC campus you apply to will evaluate if
you have met minimum admissions requirements
with the same GPA and test scores
• Each UC campus will review your application for
admission individually using the information in
• Each UC campus places a different
value on each section of the
Comprehensive Review of the
• What do the UC campuses look for?
• Good grades & test scores
• Well-rounded students
• Assess the student within his/her context
• Not just the personal statement; the full
applicant and the full application are
• Take the time to fill out all of the application
completely and accurately
• Achievements in Special
• Grade-Point Average
• Test Scores
• Improvement in
• Courses Academic Performance
• Special Talents,
• Honors Courses Achievements, and
• Eligibility in the Local Awards
Context (ELC) • Participation in
• Quality of Senior-Year Educational Preparation
Program of Study Programs
• Academic Opportunities in • Academic
California High Schools Accomplishment Within
• Performance in Academic Life Experiences
Subject Areas • Geographic Location
Filling Out the Application Basics
• Contact Information – so campuses can
communicate with you
• Campus Selection
• Major Selection
• SAVE as you go!
ALL first-time applicants
The filing deadline for fall 2012 is 11:59
p.m. PST Nov. 30, 2011. start here!
Returning users sign in
Update your e-mail or other
account information using “my Save/Logout
UC application.” at any time.
Learn what is in
Use the progress bar to navigate to
different sections of the application.
asked questions for
Use the buttons on
the bottom to move
from page to page.
All applicants are required to
disclose their social security
number if they have one.
Choosing a Major
Select a major,
or no alternate
Click on a college to
expand the list of
majors available and
make your selection.
Ranking San Diego Colleges
You must click on this
link before ranking SD
Rank the San Diego
colleges in order of
This will NOT affect your
chances of admission to
UC San Diego.
Be sure to open and review each category of scholarships!
Select scholarships that match your interests or characteristics (up to 16 total).
Students applying for EOP will be required to
provide information on parent education, income
and family size in the next steps of the Biographical
Questions & Help!
UC Home Page:
UC Application Processing Service – General Help Desk
(800) 523-2048 toll-free in California (925) 808-2181 outside California
(925) 521-9280 TDD/TTY
Online Application – Technical Help Desk
(800) 914-8820 toll-free in California (925) 808-2150 outside California
The Importance of Accurate Details
• Personal Information
• Academic History
• Examination Scores
• Activities Outside of School
Academic History 7/8
The application will search for You MUST list every school you’ve
your high school as you type. attended since ninth grade.
Academic History (high school)
Academic History (coursework)
Self-enter courses not on the
UC-approved course list
Remember to list community
colleges – even if you took only
UC transferable courses are
pulled from the ASSIST
courses can be self-
• Fall applicants must complete
ALL required exams by December
• Make sure OFFICIAL scores are
sent to at least one UC campus.
Activities and Awards
• Other categories include Educational Preparation Programs, Work Experience, Awards & Honors,
and Extracurricular Activities.
• Applicants are limited to five entries for each, so select the ones that are most meaningful.
The Personal Statement
• 2 Prompts, students must address both
• 1,000 words total or less
• View as personal interview on paper
Click on the
The Personal Statement
Describe the world you come from — for example, your family,
community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your
dreams and aspirations.
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or
experience that is important to you. What about this quality or
accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you
Use this space to tell us anything else you want us to know about you and
your academic record that you have not had the opportunity to describe
elsewhere in the application. Limit your response to 550 words or less.
The Personal Statement: Final
• Start early, get feedback, and REVISE!
• Define your motivation/momentum in
topics you are passionate about
• Decisions are never made on the personal
• Avoid some common mistakes
Submitting the application and next
• Include additional comments where
• Don’t forget to hit “Submit”
• Go back into the application when you
Review and Submit
Before starting submit process, carefully
review information on summary page.
Review and Submit
After You Submit
Update your account
Update your test scores