• Answer the following questions using the
websites hyperlinked in this slide show.
• You will have to READ to find the
• Always answer with complete sentences
and support your work with evidence from
• We strongly recommend that you include
images as a reference and/or examples.
1. Evidence for Plate Tectonics
• What is the evidence for the Theory of
Plate Tectonics? (That’s right this is a
theory, just like virtually everything else in
– Provide at least three different pieces of
– Explain in detail how those pieces of evidence
support the Theory of Plate Tectonics
2. Geological History of the PNW
• What is the Farallon Plate?
– Explain what is happening to this plate.
• Do a Google search for additional
information on the Farallon Plate.
– List three additional pieces of information
about the Farallon Plate.
• Possibilities include: how we “discovered” the
Farallon Plate, what will happen to it, the history of
the Farallon Plate
3. The Pacific Northwest
• Types of Plate Boundaries
• Identify the three types of tectonic plate
boundaries that exist along the Pacific
Northwest of the United States.
– What geological features are associated
with each of those plate boundaries?
– Explain the reasons for those geological
– What do we do as a society to deal with
tectonic activity here. (three items)
4. Find Similar Plate Boundaries
• Now find other locations around the
world that are similar to the three
different boundaries found in the Pacific
– These three locations do not need to all be
in the same geographical location.
– Describe the exact location and what
tectonic plates are involved
– Describe how the population deals with the
tectonic activity in their location (three items)
5. Support Your Selections
• Explain how the locations you have
selected are similar to the matching plate
boundary in the PNW with respect to:
– Type of plate boundary
– Geographic/Geological Features
– Process occurring at the plate boundary
*Explore Geological Processes*
• Explore any of the following sites to learn more about any
geological process of interest to you:
• Take notes on
– what you studied
– what site you used
– What you learned about that topic
• At least three different pieces of information