By: Anthony Johnson
What is a geological engineer?
• Geological engineering is an
interdisciplinary field that uses principles of
geographical science to solve
environmental and engineering problems.
Goals of Geological Engineering
• To protect the
• To find ways to work
features to form
easier ways to obtain
the resources we
Why is it important?
• It helps to develop an understanding of
how we can use the Earth and Earth
systems to our advantage.
• We can learn about ways to save some
• Helps provide effective agricultural
• An example of geological engineering
would be building a dam that not only
protects from flooding but uses the
movement of the water to generate
• Another example of geological engineering
would be building bridges across
landmasses in order to transport goods
and expand a city.
• What do geological engineers do?
• Why is Geological Engineering Important?
• What advantages do building a dam
• If you were to build a dam that was
beneficial to humans and harming to the
environment. Would that be an example of
geological engineering? Why or why not?