Geography Unit Study Guide
1. What is Geography?
• The study of land, its inhabitants and
2. What are the two elements of geography and how are they
Human geography and physical
Human geography is the study of
human use and understanding of the
world. Physical geography deals
with the study of processes and
patterns in the natural environment
3. List and define the two types of location and give examples of
• Absolute location: a location defined by a
particular coordinate system such as latitude
and longitude. Example: The absolute location
of Atlanta, Georgia is 83°29.7'W 32°42.8'N
• Relative location: to locate a place relative to
other landmarks. Example: Dobbins Middle
School is located about 5 miles from Hiram,
Georgia and near Douglasville, Ga.
4. What do lines of latitude measure? What is another name
• Latitude measures how far north or
south a location on the Earth is from
the Equator. Another name for them
5. What do lines of longitude
measure? What is another
name for them?
• Longitude measures how far east or
west a location on the Earth is from
the Prime Meridian. Another name for
lines of longitude is meridian.
6. What is the name given to 0
• Prime Meridian
7. What are the five states that
• Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, N.
Carolina, S. Carolina
8. What are the five geographical
regions of Georgia? Be able to
identify them on a blank map.
• ridge and valley,
• inner coastal plain,
• outer coastal plain
9. What is the fall zone?
• The area where the piedmont and the
inner coastal plain meet. This area is
rich in minerals. Has many rapids and
10. Why are the barrier islands
• The barrier islands protect the main
land from erosion from storms
11. Why are the marshes of
• It filters out all pollution from rivers
before they enter the Atlantic Ocean
12. Which region contains GA’s
• Brasstown Bald Mt.
13. Which region contains some
of the country’s best
• Inner Coastal Plain
14. What type of climate does
• Humid Sub-Tropical
15. Where is GA located?
• in the Northern and Western
Hemisphere, on the continent of North
America, in the country of the United
States of America, southeastern region
of the country
16. Why is the Savannah River
• It provides easy access to the Atlantic
Ocean, It is a source of hydroelectric
power, and provides drinking water to
17. What is the significance of
the Okefenokee Swamp?
• It was made a wildlife preserve in the
early 1900s and provides a habitat for
a variety of wildlife.