by Neelam Raj 1
‘A breakdown in speech communication is what
happens when a barrier works.’ (Penny Byrne)
The more we are aware of the different barriers
that hinder understanding, the better
communicators we can become.
by Neelam Raj 2
• Lack of interest (with poor listening habits)
• Competition for attention from all that is going
on around us makes it extremely difficult to
• People tend to become selective to avoid
suffering from information overload.
by Neelam Raj 3
• Messages that are expressed badly fail to
• Occurs when a person has heard part of the
message and jumps to conclusions regarding
the rest of it, then switches off.
by Neelam Raj 4
• Often act as comm. barriers.
• When we feel deeply, whether it be hate, fear,
love or anger, we cannot communicate
Distrust of inconsistency
• Distrust builds up when a person giving orders
has often changed them in the past.
• People then tend to wait to see what will
by Neelam Raj 5
• Often cause great difficulties and leads to
confused messages…like competing sounds,
poor eyesight, tiredness, inadequate ventilation
, stress etc.
Insufficient Warning Of Change
• An insufficient adjustment period leading to
change often upsets people.
• It takes a while for all the details of change to
sink in because people become emotionally
by Neelam Raj 6
a. Gender differences
b. The ‘generation gap’
c. Lack of confidence
d. Past experience
e. Education differences
by Neelam Raj 7
f. Ethnic backgrounds
g. Cultural differences and insensitivity
h. Personal beliefs
i. Ingrained attitudes
j. Perceptual ability
by Neelam Raj 8
1. English as a second language (ESL)
2. Variations in pronunciation
by Neelam Raj 9
Lack of Feedback
• When messages fail to return to the
sender, there is a breakdown in
Insecurity of Communicators
• Happens when people are insecure and
they tend to block communication on
occasions in a multitude of ways.
by Neelam Raj 10
• Individual Motivation
• Audience analysis
• Planning Communication
• Building Redundancy into Messages –
(repetition of messages)
by Neelam Raj 11
• Communication barriers are easily set up and
gaining rapport and achieving smooth
relationships is indeed a very difficult task.
• The technique is not to simply become
competent in the various skills but to bring the
other person’s opinion and feelings into focus.
by Neelam Raj 12