Document Sample
Faculty of Engineering LTH, Lund University                                       2009-06-03

We are pleased that you will be participating in one of the International Master’s Programmes
at the Faculty of Engineering LTH, Lund University. We want to welcome you to Lund and
hope that you will enjoy your time here in Sweden.

The purpose of this pamphlet is to give some practical advice facilitating your planning for
coming to Lund and your stay here.


The climate in the north of Sweden is rather pronounced into four seasons but as Lund is
situated in the south the climate is quite unpredictable. Normally the temperatures, from May
until September, should be between 10 degrees above zero at night and 20 or more during
daytime. The autumn and early spring is usually fairly rainy and windy months. Winter starts
in December and is over in the end of February usually. It rarely snows in winter down here
but it’s quite cold as it’s often windy.

This means that you need to bring warm clothes that can stand for tough and cold weather.
Dressing in Sweden is usually very informal but of course there will be some social events
during the year where you will have a chance to dress up.

Remember that Sweden is considered to be an expensive country. It is better to bring the
clothes you will need rather than to buy them here.

In summer there is daylight from 3am until 10pm but in the darkest period in December we
only have daylight between 10am until 3pm.


The Swedish currency is called crown/s, krona/kronor. 1 krona is divided into 100 öre. The
international abbreviation of kronor is SEK, whereas the abbreviation normally used in
Sweden is kr or simply :- The present (May 2009) exchange rate is approximately 7,74 SEK
to 1 USD and 10,79 SEK to 1 EUR. Note that Euro is not used in Sweden. You’ll need
approximately 7500SEK per month to cover living expenses (housing included) in Sweden.

Be prepared for the fact that textbooks and materials are quite expensive. It might be a good
idea to check if you can buy the books needed for your courses less expensively in your home
country. You’ll find information about the textbooks used in your courses in the course
syllabus that you will find in the web site .

There is no discount for students on the local buses.

During the terms, there are several small cafeterias open at lunchtime, which the students run
themselves and where the prices are fair. A normal one-course dinner in a restaurant will
easily cost around 150 kronor if you drink one beer with it, whereas you can get a lunch for
less than half that price. If you cook your own meals, you can easily eat for well under 50
kronor per day for all meals. Then you have to add the beverages, the cost of which will
depend entirely on your drinking habits. The cheapest would be tap water, which is of very
high quality.

All major credit cards are widely accepted.

 Please note that it’s next to impossible to find part-time work in Lund while studying.
Please note that it’s next to impossible to find a a part-time job in Lund while studying!
 There are lots of students competing for those jobs and usually knowledge of the
There are lots of students competing for those jobs and usually knowledge of the
 Swedish language required.
Swedish language isis required.


If you are a citizen of a non EU/EEA country and are going to study longer than 3 months you
must apply and be granted a residence permit before coming to Sweden (some foreign
nationalities, however, require visa in order to enter Sweden even if they are going to stay less
than 3 months).

You apply for visa and residence permit at the Swedish embassy or consulate in your country
of origin or you country of domestic. You’ll find information in

Foreign citizens with a residence permit in a Schengen country may also travel freely in the
zone for a total period of three months. This means, for instance, that a foreign citizen living
in Sweden may visit friends living in another Schengen country without first having to apply
for a new visa.

We advise you to contact the Swedish embassy/consulate as soon as possible in order to
arrange formalities for obtaining a visa. It may take up to two months for a decision to be
made. You should consider this matter as extremely urgent as no residence permits for
studying at LTH will be issued after September 1. If, for some reason, you are not able
to arrive here before September 1, you have to contact your coordinator.


As we mention on the university website, the housing situation in Lund is extremely tough
and the number of rooms available in the fall will not cover the demand that we foresee at this
point. It is very important to make this clear so that each student knows that they are
responsible for finding their own accommodation.
We will of course provide you with links to housing organizations and we encourage you to
apply through them and through friends and acquaintances, if you happen to have any already
here in Sweden. For more information about housing opportunities, please visit:
With AF Bostäder (see link above), please note that you can sign up for their “ new student”-
room lottery. This means that you can sign up in July. For more information about this, please
go to:

The area in this part of Sweden is very compact and local transportation is very well-
developed and accessible. So many people live outside of the city and then commute to work
and school. This might be important when you look for housing.
City                        Distance in minutes by local train
Eslöv – Lund                10 minutes
Höör – Lund                 21 minutes
Helsingborg – Lund          27 minutes
Landskrona – Lund           15 minutes
Malmö – Lund                13 minutes

This alternative could be temporary during the fall since the housing situation usually
improves during the spring semester and more rooms might become available.

For participants who have applied through International Housing Office
You are responsible for the cleaning of your room and helping keep the kitchen area clean.
The room is to be left clean upon your departure. There are kitchen utensils, plates, glasses
and cutlery to use. However, you are required to bring your own sheets, pillow covers and
towels. There are common laundry facilities, equipped with all the machines, free of charge,
but you use your own washing detergent. Please remember that you have to sign a rental
agreement when you get the key to your room. This agreement covers the whole semester,
which means that you can not move out until the end date of your agreement.

The current in Sweden is 220 volt, 50 Hz.

For you own sake please arrange your accommodation in advance. It is very difficult to
find accommodation in Lund when you arrive in August and LTH has no rooms to offer.


When planning your trip to Lund you should keep in mind that Sweden is separated from the
European continent by the Baltic Sea to the east and south and by the sound between
Denmark and Sweden, “Öresund”, to the west. Please note that Stockholm is the capital of
Sweden but the distance between Lund and Stockholm is 600 kilometres whereas
Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark but the distance between Copenhagen Airport and
Lund is 30 kilometres. Thus you will save both time and money going by air to Copenhagen.
Your residence permit is valid in Denmark since both Denmark and Sweden are members of
the Schengen agreement.

By air – Copenhagen Airport CPH/Kastrup – Malmö- Lund
Copenhagen Airport, CPH, at Kastrup, Denmark, is the closest large international airport.
Malmö and Lund in Sweden can conveniently be reached by crossing the bridge over the
sound that separates the two countries. Trains run frequently directly from the airport to
Malmö/Lund and the price is about SEK100 to Malmö. The trip from Copenhagen Airport
CPH/Kastrup to Malmö Central Station will take approximately 30 minutes. Tickets can be
purchased all the way through to Lund. Sometimes a change of trains is necessary in Malmö.
In that case please go to platform 9-12 to take the train (the purple trains – Pågatåg) bound for
Lund. It takes approximately 15 minutes. If you have bought a ticket to Malmö you can buy a
new ticket to Lund from the ticket machines on the platform or at the information centre. If
you buy your ticket on the train you will be charged an additional SEK 30.

By air – local airport Malmö MMX/Sturup – Lund
The local airport Malmö-Sturup, MMX, has frequent domestic flights mainly to and from
Stockholm, but also international flights to and from London. Please check Sturup airport’s
web site for more details There is a bus service from
Sturup to Lund –“Flygbussarna”; buses depart almost once an hour. The bus stops in Lund
city centre, at the Central Railway Station and at “Kårhuset” (the Faculty of Engineering
LTH). Sturup-Lund by taxi should not cost more than SEK 350-400 anytime of day or night.
The fee should be settled with the driver beforehand.

By train to Lund
Lund is located on the main railway from Copenhagen to
Stockholm. Travel time from Stockholm to Lund C, is about 4
hrs on the express train “X2000” or 6-7 hrs on normal trains
(the ticket is cheaper). If you are younger than 26 years the
ticket is 30% cheaper. It’s much cheaper to buy a ticket in
advance on the web site
The “Just nu” - ticket usually is the cheapest.


Alcoholic beverages are heavily taxed in Sweden and can only be bought in special stores,
called “Systembolaget”. These stores are closed on Sundays. Cigarettes are also expensive in
Sweden. If you plan on buying alcoholic beverages and cigarettes to take with you to Sweden
make sure that you don’t bring more than the custom regulations allow.

With regards to partaking and trafficking in marijuana, hashish and other drugs, Sweden is far
from permissive and investigation is thorough and prosecution is swift and lead to jail, heavy
fines and deportation.


You are strongly recommended to arrive in Lund on the formal Welcoming Day, i.e. 24th of
August (between 08.00 – 20.00). This is mostly for your own convenience since you will have
all kinds of services present that day. Members of the student unions will meet you at the
railway station and take you to the SOL centre, which is on the University Campus. There you
will get a Welcome package containing useful information. If you have received a room
through IHO, you will also meet representatives from International Housing Office, sign your
housing contract and be escorted to your room.

Arriving at a later date means that we can not promise you any help with transports. If it is not
possible to arrive on August 24 you are strongly recommended to arrive in Sweden on a
weekday and if possible during office hours (normally between 9.00 a.m. – 16.00 p.m.). It is
important that the International Housing Office as well as the International Office at the
Faculty of Engineering LTH is informed of the date and time of your arrival. The visiting
address to the International Housing Office is: Gamla kirurgen, Sandgatan 3. Office hours:
Monday – Friday 13.00-15.00. On arrival day the office will be open between 9.a.m. to 8 p.m.
If you don’t have any room when you in Lund we advise you to reserve a room, well in
advance, at the youth hostel “Vandrarhemmet Tåget”, which is situated close to the Central
Railway Station in Lund (, tel +46 46 142820, fax +46 46 320568). You
can also contact the Lund Tourist Bureau +46 46 355040, fax +46 46 125963 to arrange
temporary accommodation.

On August 25 we will have a Welcoming Meeting at Kårhuset. You will get more specific
information about this meeting later.

In the afternoon there will be a General Information Meeting (GIM). Please attend in
the afternoon session. At the meeting, we will have representatives present from the
student union, the Swedish course organizations and the Student services Dept. at the
university. They will provide you with general information about everything that you
might need to know in order to have a good start with your new student life in Lund
(insurance, student health centre, bicycles etc.).


As you are going to stay in Sweden for 2 years you are entitled to get a Swedish
“personnummer”. The civic registration number (personnumret) consists of 10 figures: Birth
date (yy mm dd) and four check digits. Application for this is made at the Tax Office when
you have arrived. The documents needed for application are: passport, residence permit and
the form provided at the Tax Office, “Applications for a Swedish Personal Number”. This
application takes about 3 weeks to service. There will also be staff from the local Tax Office
present at the Introduction Day (Aug 24), to facilitate the application process upon your

The civic registration number is important in Sweden as it is used for all official transactions
such as opening a bank account.


The University will provide you with an insurance covering emergency medical problems.
Medical care in Sweden is expensive and the insurance will ensure you to get proper help
from the hospital if there is an emergency. The insurance does NOT cover any chronicle
disease or problems you might have prior to your arrival here in Sweden. It does NOT cover
visits to the dentist, unless you have an emergency not caused by prior poor dental care. The
insurance does not cover your trip to and from Sweden. When you have received a
“personnummer” (see separate information) you will automatically get access to medical care
the same way as Swedish residents, to the same heavily subsidized cost so the need for extra
insurance will not be needed.

More information can be downloaded at: .

If you are required to take any regular medicine, make sure to bring enough for the whole
period. Most medicine in Sweden requires prescription from the doctor and can only be given
by a doctor’s appointment. The insurance does not cover the cost for doctor appointments. It
may also be so that the medicine you require is not available at all in Sweden. The medicine
should be properly labelled in order not to cause problems in the customs. It is not possible to
send medicines by post to Sweden from a country outside the EU/EEA countries. In Sweden
you buy medicines at “Apoteket”.

If you are renting a room through IHO, you are recommended to have a Third party liability
insurance while staying in Sweden. This is for your own protection in case you break
something in your room or if there is some kind of accident.


As you may need to open a bank account before you have received your “personnummer”,
most banks issue an interim number (which they need to enable their computers to handle
your account).
    - Handelsbanken does this without any further requirements.
    - Skandinaviska-Enskilda Banken (S-E banken) and
    - the Savings Bank (Sparbanken Finn) have a special form to fill in.
As soon as you have received your “personnummer” from the Tax Authorities
(Skattekontoret), notify your bank and you will be able to apply for a cash card to enable you
to make withdrawals from the “Bankomat” or “Minuten”, automatic teller machines all over

Be careful with your VISA/Master Card.

Don’t bring foreign cheques or large amounts of cash with you since it requires a lot of
administration to verify authenticity. It might also be very expensive for you due to heavy
fees. It is much better to transfer money from your bank account at home to your new
account. The fee for this service is much smaller and the process is also much safer for you as
a client.


A GSM mobile phone (frequencies 900 and 1800), will work in Sweden.


Apart from your studies we will also try to introduce you to the Swedish society and

All participants of the programmes should be prepared to allocate some of their spare time
taking active part in social and other extra curricular activities, since promoting the general
exchange of ideas and experience between the participants with their different academic and
cultural backgrounds are important elements of the programmes. We will encourage you to
arrange social gatherings where the participants will be asked to tell the others about their
respective countries; food, people, habits etc. It would therefore be nice if you could bring
some descriptive material, such as photos, videos, music cassettes etc. to show typical,
beautiful and interesting features of your country’s traditions/environment etc.
Lund is a small city with an extremely large proportion of students and university staff.
During the terms there is a variety of activities going on related to the academic sphere. There
are also traditional diversions, such as museums, art galleries, theatres, cinemas, swimming
pools, tennis courts and other athletic grounds. Several libraries have many foreign journals
and books.


We will inform you about Swedish courses once you arrive here. The general suggestion is
that you wait for some weeks after your programme starts since it can be quite overwhelming
coming to a new country, meeting new people and getting used to a new culture. Once you
have settled in, have started your studies and also gotten your personal number, you are
welcome to start your Swedish classes.
During the spring you will be offered a course in Swedish in your curriculum.


The formal address for all communication to you during the entire programme is:
(Your name)
c/o Anna Carlqvist
Faculty of Engineering LTH
International Office
P.O. Box 118
S-221 00 Lund

Phone: +46 46 222 9746 (to the secretariat office open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
8:00 until 16:30)
Fax: +46 46 222 0411

After a week or two you’ll get an e-mail account at the university.

For more information about:
- Sweden:
- Lund University
- Sweden and Skåne
- Housing links
- Language

Check list:
• Bring your Final Transcript and your Degree Certificate in original and your
  Letter of Admission
• Insurance. Please note, that the insurance must cover third party liability, as this is
  recommended if you arrange your accommodation through the International
  Housing Office.
• Contact your regional social insurance office for an E:128-form (EU citizens only).
• Your passport must be valid for at least the duration of your stay in Sweden.
• Swedish currency (for trains, taxi etc.) It is also possible to change money at
  Copenhagen Airport, Malmö Airport and the Central Railway Station in
  Copenhagen, Malmö and Lund.
• Prescriptions if you are on medication.
• Warm clothes, since winter in Sweden can be quite cold and windy.
• Adapter for your electrical appliances.
• Information about your university and country
 Sheets (pillow case) and towels