Contracts, Spring 2006
Statute of Frauds Worksheet
(1) Is this contract within the statute of frauds?
1. K for sale of land.
12 A agrees to work for B for A's life.
1.5. Written K for sale of land.
12.5 A agrees to work for B for B's life.
2. K for lease of apartment for two years.
13. Carl Coan, a first-year law student,
3. K for lease of apartment for one year, entered into an oral agreement with
starting today. Victor Orsinger, under which Coan was
to be resident manager of an apartment
4. K for lease of apartment for a one year development owned by Orsinger "until
term, starting one month from now. Coan completed his law studies as a
student duly matriculated in
5. K for the construction of a building. Georgetown University Law Center,
The building is completed two years Washington, D.C. or was obliged to
after K formation. discontinue these studies."
6. C enters into a contract to sell tires to A. 14. A agrees to work for B on a Sunday 13
C delivers the tires to A. A puts the tires months from now.
on a truck and sells the truck with tires
to B. B promises to A that B will pay C. 14.5 In satisfaction of a debt owed by A to B,
A agrees to work for B for 13 months or
7. C is a car dealer. A and B walk into the to paint B's portrait.
store. A is a minor. B is A's friend and
has reached the age of majority. A 15. A promises B that if B agrees to not
wants to buy a car. C enters into a drink, gamble, and smoke for five years,
contract with A and B where A that A will give B $5000. B agrees.
purchases the car and B guarantees A's
obligation. 16. A promises B that if B forbears from
drinking, gambling, and smoking for
8. A is a company that owes money to C. five years, that A will give B $5000.
B is a major customer of A. A's loan to
C is past due and C is threatening 17. A agrees to sell B a lawn mower for
foreclosure. B promises to C that if C $50.
will extend the time for repayment, B
will guarantee A's obligation. 18. A agrees to sell B a car for $500.
9. A agrees to work for B for five years. 19. A agrees to sell B 10 widgets for $50
10. A agrees to work for B for five years, if
A lives that long. 20. A agrees to mow B's lawn for $500.
(It's a really big lawn.)
11. A agrees to work for B for five years,
but if A dies, the contract is to be