Due Date: _______________________________________
Modern Satire Webquest!
SATIRE: A work used to ridicule or make fun of human vice or weakness, often with the intent of
correcting, or changing, the subject of the satiric attack.
Now that we’ve discussed several different types of satire in class, it’s time for you to test your
satire-recognition skills. Pick one of the three options below. Print out whatever you find, then
answer the questions on the reverse side of this sheet. Bring both the printout and answers to the
questions with you to class on Monday March 10th. Be prepared to share your findings.
1. Find an article from an online satirical publication
2. Find a summary of a satirical TV episode or film
3. Find two satirical cartoons
*The Material You Find Must Be Appropriate for School*
Respond to the following questions, using full sentences.
1. Who or what is being satirized in the piece(s) that you found?
2. What specific societal behaviors are being criticized?
3. Do you personally agree with the criticisms being made in this piece?
4. Do you think this piece of satire is effective? In other words, will it encourage people to
change their behavior? Why or why not?
5. In your opinion, what could the author have done to make this satire more effective?