Unit 6 Vocabulary
1. Population Density 9. GDP (Gross
2. Birth Rate Domestic Product)
3. Death Rate 10. Natural Resources
4. Natural Increase Immigration
5. Culture Hearth 11. Emigration
6. Urbanization 12. Migration
7. Overpopulation 13. Refugee
8. Industrialization 14. Displaced Person
• 1st and oldest civilizations
– Near fresh water and the coast; access to water for
living and also trade/expansion
• Irrigation system
– Farming settlements = CROP SURPLUS (EXTRA!)
– Mild climates
• Ideas and practices spread to surrounding area
• VERY influential
Culture Hearths Map
Ivory Indus River
What Influences Settlement?
Major Cities of the World
• Settlement still mirrors ancient culture
• Most culture hearth peoples have died out
due to outside intrusion and takeover
What Makes A Megacity?
• Urban areas with 10 million or more in
• Today there are 11 cities with 15 million or more
• More than ½ the world’s population lives in cities
Major Cities Map
London Tehran Seoul Tokyo
Los New York City
Rio de Janeiro Sydney
• Too many people in one area, but they
can move to another location to get space.
– Example: Traffic congestion
• Fix It?
– More housing
– Bigger transportation systems
– Move jobs
1. What was the world population in 2009?
2. By how many people does the world grow each year?
3. If the world’s population continues at its current rate of
growth, approximately how long will it take to double?
4. True or false. There is a population explosion in the
5. Name one major cause of the population explosion.
6. What was the population of the US in 2009?
7. True or false. Now that the US has reached the fertility
rate of 2.0 children per family, all US population growth
is due to immigration.
8. The US, which makes up less than 5% of the world
population, consumes approximately how much of the
And Now For the Answers…
1. 6.8 billion
2. 78 million
3. 58 years
5. Many: lower infant
longer life expectancy,
6. 307 million
From National Geographic
• Too many people!
– “Too many
individuals in an
– Use more
are naturally or
Problems Related To/Caused By
VS Water treatment plant in Elgin, Illinois
Woman collects water in Nigeria, Africa
• Safety regulations
• In transition to becoming developed…can
be anywhere along the way…
• Rapid population growth
• Safety issues
• Unsanitary conditions
• Medical needs not met
Where the World Stands…