Short Answer Questions - Chapter 1, Paris: September
1792, Chapter 2, Dover: 'The Fisherman's Rest', and
Chapter 3, The Refugees
1. Who is causing the revolution in France?
2. Who is being targeted in the revolution in France?
3. Who is imprisoned by the new government in France?
4. What is done to the enemies of the new government in France?
5. What does the English government do about the chaos caused by the French
6. What is a scarlet pimpernel?
7. What does the man called the Scarlet Pimpernel decide to do about the
Revolution in France?
8. How many men help the Scarlet Pimpernel at the beginning of the book?
9. Why are there guards at all the gates in Paris?
10. Where is the Scarlet Pimpernel from?
11. What is Tinville's occupation?
12. What is left every time a fugitive is rescued?
13. What does the favorite guard in France brag about?
14. What is the Scarlet Pimpernel dressed as when he passes the favorite guard in
15. How does the Scarlet Pimpernel get by the favorite guard in France?
16. How many people does the Scarlet Pimpernel smuggle out when he tricks the
17. What is the Fisherman's Rest?
18. Where is the Fisherman's Rest?
19. What is the name of the owner of the Fisherman's Rest?
20. What is a man at the Fisherman's Rest complaining about to the owner?
21. What is Andrew's title?
22. What is the Comtesses daughter's name?
23. How was the Comtesse able to flee France?
24. What is Antony's title?
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 4, The League of the
Scarlet Pimpernel, Chapter 5, Marguerite, and Chapter 6,
An Exquisite of '92
1. Who does the Comtesse credit for her safe removal from France?
2. What does the Comtesse regret about her removal from France?
3. Who does Andrew say will make things better for the Comtesse in England?
4. How soon does Andrew think the Comtesse will have what she wants in
5. What is the title of the Comtesse's son?
6. Who does the Comtesse's son say is most bitter against aristocrats in France?
7. Who caused the Marquis de St. Cyr to be executed?
8. What is the maiden name of Lord Blakeney's wife?
9. How does Andrew know Lord Blakeney's wife?
10. What title does Lord Blakeney's wife have after her marriage?
11. Where is Lord Blakeney's wife going when Andrew learns a sad fact about
12. What is the sad fact Andrew learns about Lord Blakeney's wife?
13. What does the Comtesse do when Lord Blakeney enters the room?
14. Who does the Comtesse force to follow her lead when she meets Lord
15. How does Suzanne know Lord Blakeney's wife?
16. What does Suzanne do when she sees Lord Blakeney's wife?
17. What does Lord Blakeney do when he enters the room?
18. How does the narrator describe Lord Blakeney the first time we meet him?
19. What does Lord Blakeney's wife say her husband has too much of?
20. What does Lord Blakeney's wife say her husband has too little of?
21. What exists between the Blakeneys in public?
22. What does the Comtesse's son do when he meets Lord Blakeney?
23. How is the Comtesse's son left feeling after his first encounter with Lord
24. What kind of comments does Lord Blakeney's wife make when around her
husband in public?
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 7, The Secret
Orchard, Chapter 8, The Accredited Agent, and Chapter
9, The Outrage
1. What is the name of Lord Blakeney's yacht?
2. Where is Blakeney's yacht going when Margeurite's brother boards it?
3. Why is Margeurite worried about her brother when he boards Blakeney's yacht?
4. What is the name of Margeurite's brother?
5. Who raised Margeurite?
6. Why was Margeurite not raised by her parents?
7. Who is Margeurite's closest friend?
8. Why did Margeurite turn in the Marquis St. Cyr?
9. Who did Margeurite tell some bad information about the Marquis St. Cyr to?
10. What did Margeurite do when her evidence against the Marquis St. Cyr came
11. What changed the relationship between Margeurite and her husband?
12. Where does Margeurite head after her brother boards her husband's yacht?
13. What is Chauvelin's occupation?
14. Where is Chauvelin from?
15. What does Chauvelin ask Margeurite to do for him?
16. What is Margeurite's first response to Chauvelin's request of her?
17. Why does Margeurite give her first response to Chauvelin's request of her?
18. Where does Margeurite's brother board Blakeney's yacht?
19. Where do Antony and Andrew discuss their next mission?
20. Who are Antony and Andrew working for?
21. How many men were with Chauvelin in the Fisherman's Rest?
22. What is Andrew doing when Chauvelin approaches him?
23. What does Chauvelin do when he sees Antony and Andrew?
24. Who does Chauvelin say will be willing to help him after he meets with Antony
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 10, In the Opera Box,
Chapter 11, Lord Grenville's Ball, Chapter 12, The Scrap
of Paper, and Chapter 13, Either—Or?
1. Where is the second place Chauvelin comes to speak to Marguerite?
2. Who is with Margeurite in the second place Chauvelin comes to speak to her?
3. How does Margeurite act towards Chauvelin the second time he approaches
4. How many of the Scarlet Pimpernel's men does Chauvelin say he has captured?
5. What did Chauvelin say he found among the belongings of the men he
6. Who did the item that Chauvelin found among the the belongings of the men he
captured belong to?
7. What made Margeurite willing to obey Chauvelin?
8. What event does Chuavelin say the Scarlet Pimpernel will be attending the night
he sees Margeurite for the second time?
9. Where will be the event that Chuavelin says the Scarlet Pimpernel will be
attending the night he sees Margeurite for the second time?
10. What does Chauvelin offer Marguerite in return for her help?
11. What does Chauvelin say he has to have before he will fulfill his side of the
bargain with Margeurite?
12. What does Chauvelin want Margeurite to use to complete the task he has
asked of her?
13. How does Marguerite feel after her second encounter with Chauvelin?
14. Who does Margeurite turn to after her second encounter with Chauvelin?
15. Who does Margeurite wish she could speak to after her second encounter with
16. How does Lady Blakeney say her husband acts towards her when they are
17. What does Marguerite act like in public after her second encounter with
18. Who does Marguerite look for just after her second encounter with Chauvelin?
19. What does Margeurite see handed to a friend of her husband's?
20. Where does Marguerite follow her husband's friend to after seeing him receive
21. How does Marguerite get what she wants from the friend of her husband?
22. What does Marguerite say she thinks she saw when she approaches the friend
of her husband?
23. Who does Marguerite dance with the night of her second meeting with
24. What does Margeurite think will happen if she does not cooperate with
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 14, One O'clock
Precisely!, Chapter 15, Doubt, Chapter 16, Richmond,
and Chapter 17, Farewell
1. Who does Margeurite talk to in the boudoir the second time?
2. What message does Margeurite have the second person she talks to in the
3. Who does Margeurite have the second person she talks to in the boudoir send a
4. Who is the third person Margeurite talks to in the boudoir?
5. Where did Margeurite say the Scarlet Pimpernel would be going the day after
6. What time does Margeurite say the Scarlet Pimpernel will be in the supper room
the night of the ball?
7. Who is found in the supper room at the appointed hour?
8. What is the man in the supper room at the appointed hour doing?
9. How does Margeurite feel after passing along information about the Scarlet
10. Where did Margeruite get the information about the Scarlet Pimpernel that she
11. Where does Chauvelin promise to send Armand when he has captured the
12. Who retrieves the Blakeney's carriage to leave from the ball?
13. Who talks to Margeurite just before she gets into her carriage to leave the ball?
14. Where is the Blakeney estate?
15. What does Margeurite do when she gets home from the ball?
16. What important question does Margeurite ask her husband after the ball?
17. What did Lord Blakeney say Margeurite should have trusted him with?
18. What did Lord Blakeney say Margeurite tested too much in their early
19. Where does Margeurite see love from her husband after the ball?
20. What does Margeurite tell her husband when she senses he still loves her?
21. Where does Lord Blakeney tell his wife he plans to go after talking with
22. How long does Lord Blakeney say he will be gone after talking with
23. How does Lord Blakeney tell Margeurite he is leaving after he talks with her?
24. Why does Lord Blakeney say he is leaving after he talks with Margeurite?
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 18, The Mysterious
Device, Chapter 19, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Chapter 20,
The Friend, Chapter 21, Suspense, and Chapter 22,
1. What room is always locked in the Blakeney house?
2. How does Marguerite feel when she sees the room that is always locked
3. What does Marguerite see her husband has a good head for when she enters
the private rooms?
4. How does the narrator describe the private rooms of the Blakeney house?
5. What object does Marguerite find on the floor of the private rooms?
6. What is engraved on the object Marguerite finds on the floor of the private
7. How does Marguerite feel after finding the object on the floor of the private
8. Who is the first person Marguerite sees after finding the object on the floor of
the private room?
9. What does Suzanne talk about with Marguerite in the garden?
10. Where is Marguerite when she realizes that her husband is the Scarlet
11. What does Marguerite receive shortly after realizing her husband is the Scarlet
12. Who tells Marguerite that Chauvelin now knows who the Scarlet Pimpernel is?
13. Who does Marguerite confide in when she realizes her husband is the Scarlet
14. Why is Maruerite so worried when she realizes that her husband is the Scarlet
15. Where does Marguerite plan to travel to to meet her husband?
16. Who has agreed to travel with Marguerite to meet her husband?
17. Where does Marguerite meet the man who has agreed to travel with her to
meet her husband?
18. Where does Marguerite eat supper before leaving to find her husband?
19. What do the owners of the place Marguerite eats supper at think she is sailing
20. What is the man sailing with Marguerite to meet her husband dressed as when
21. Why is Marguerite not able to leave when she wants to to find her husband?
22. What time of day is Marguerite finally able to leave to find her husband?
23. What is the Chat Gris?
24. How does Marguerite describe her surroundings in the Chat Gris?
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 23, Hope, Chapter 24,
The Death-Trap, Chapter 25, The Eagle and the Fox, and
Chapter 26, The Jew
1. How far behind does Andrew think Chauvelin is when they get to Calais?
2. Where was the last place Andrew saw Chauvelin when they get to Calais?
3. Who is sent in search of Lord Blakeney when Andrew and Marguerite arrive in
4. Where does Marguerite stay hidden in the Calais in?
5. What does Marguerite hide behind in the inn at Calais?
6. Who is Chauvelin talking to when he arrives at the inn at Calais?
7. What does Chauvelin want to wait for before imprisoning Blakeney?
8. Why does Chauvelin want to wait for something before arresting Blakeney?
9. What makes Marguerite think Blakeney will never escape Chauvelin?
10. What is Chauvelin eating when Lord Blakeney arrives at the inn in Calais?
11. What does Lord Blakeney do when he sees Chauvelin a the inn in Calais?
12. What does Chauvelin appear to feel as he speaks with Blakeney?
13. Why does Marguerite not show herself when Chauvelin is talking with Lord
14. What does Blakeney offer Chauvelin as they sit talking at the inn?
15. What has Blakeney actually given Chauvelin as they sit talking a the inn in
16. What is Chauvelin doing as Blakeney escapes from the inn in Calais?
17. What was Blakeney seen renting from a Jewish man in Calais?
18. What does Chauvelin offer to the Jewish man in return for solid information
Short Answer Questions - Chapter 27, On the Track,
Chapter 28, The Pere Blanchard's Hut, Chapter 29,
Trapped, Chapter 30, The Schooner, and Chapter 31,
1. How does Marguerite follow Chauvelin after he deals with the Jewish man?
2. How many soldiers approach Chauvelin as he is heading out to meet Blakeney?
3. Where does a soldier say they think Armand was spotted?
4. How many soldiers does Chauvelin send to find Armand when he hears where
5. What does Chauvelin tell his soldiers to wait for when they get to where Armand
6. What does Chauvelin threaten to do to the soldiers who do not obey his every
7. What does Chauvelin have to do to get the Jewish man to stay with him?
8. Who stops Marguerite from getting to her brother?
9. What kind of ship is spotted just off the coast of where Armand was seen?
10. What does Chauvelin say before he takes off Marguerite's gag?
11. What does Blakeney do as he walks up the path to where Armand was seen
12. What is found in the place where Armand was seen hiding when the soldiers
rush into it?
13. What does the Scarlet Pimpernel sign all his letters with?
14. Why does Chauvelin have the Jewish man beaten?
15. What does Marguerite do when she sees the Jewish man beaten?
16. How does Marguerite realize the Jewish man was her husband?
17. What does Blakeney say has allowed him to forgive her of her follies?
18. What does Blakeney attend when he gets home to England at the end of the