Ethics of Cloning-to-Produce Children: Human Cloning and Human Dignity, Chapter 5 (The
President's Council on Bioethics).
Prepare typewritten answers to the following questions prior to coming to class for the
discussion. Be ready to discuss your opinions on the material.
Read the following Biblical passages and comment about what each DOES and DOES NOT say
about God’s relationship to embryos and the “status” of those embryos.
Psalm 139:13-16, Jeremiah 1:5, Isaiah 49:1, Exodus 21:22-25,
Section II: The Case Against Cloning to Produce Children
A: Human Experimentation
1. What basic principles have been laid out in regards to human experimentation?
2. What are the safety issues raised and how does this affect the ethics of cloning children?
3. Briefly discuss the other two issues raised in this section.
B: Procreation and Child Rearing
1. Summarize the concerns raised in this section
C: Identity, Manufacture, Eugenics, Family, Society
1. Summarize the five concerns raised in this section
1. What is the conclusion of the President’s Council?
2. What arguments do you find the most compelling? The least compelling? Do you agree
or disagree with the conclusions?