"Public Sector Compact - DOC - DOC"
Lincolnshire and Rutland Public Sector Compact Minutes of Steering Group meeting Lincoln Room – Riseholme Campus – University of Lincoln 21st May 2007 Present Nigel Howells East Lindsey District Council (Chair) Chris Donkin Facilitation Support for the Compact Mike Crosby Lincolnshire and Rutland LSC Lynne Alexander Lincolnshire and Rutland LSC Penny Corbin New College Stamford Nicola Marshall Lincolnshire County Council Margaret Raw Lincolnshire Workforce Modernisation Service Hazell Frost Grantham College Derek Brown Job Centre Plus Michael Cartwright Lincolnshire Enterprise Rachael Hosking Lincolnshire County Council Kim Hoskins Grimsby Institute Darryl Plummer Lincolnshire Chamber of Commerce Vicky Sharpe Lincolnshire County Council Eryl Prentice East Midlands LSC Justin Brown Lincolnshire County Council Apologies Carol Laws HMP Ashwell Paul Jackson RAF Waddington Caroline Hotchin Lincolnshire Enterprise Cathy O’Reilly Lincolnshire County Council Geoff Plummer South Kesteven District Council Paul Collins Boston College Simon Stewart New College Stamford Jane Johnson Lincolnshire Workforce Modernisation Service Donald Brooks Grantham College Nigel Burch South Holland District Council Nicky Fothergill East Midlands Ambulance Service Minutes of previous meeting The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed as a true record. It was agreed that all ‘matters arising’ were likely to be discussed within the agenda. Confirming Terms of Reference The group were provided with the Terms of Reference produced as a result of discussions at the last Steering Group meetings. This document has previously been circulated via email after amendment to acknowledge the minor changes that were advised at the last Steering Group meeting. The Group confirmed that the Terms of Reference as distributed were adopted. Identification of specific issues to be taken forward in emerging action plans and establishing sub-groups (Based on feedback from the “Working Together” event held earlier on the same day) The group agreed that it was likely that the Compact would benefit from the contribution of two theme groups constituted to address the ‘learning and development’ and ‘recruitment and retention’ issues. Feedback was taken from the “Working Together” Event held earlier. It was agreed that the issues that had been identified as matters that could be addressed effectively by collaborative working were: Recruitment and Retention Arranging temporary job swaps/secondments/job shadowing to enable employees within the sector to appreciate and access the diversity of employment opportunities within the sector. Improving the image of the Public Sector Arranging to share the available vacancies across the sector Deploying ‘positive action’ to recruit and employ under-represented groups Taking action to address graduate migration Arranging ‘Good Practice’ seminars Learning and Development Collaborative Workforce Planning Developing a Skills Passport for public sector employees to acquire through training so that they can more readily access employment progression opportunities within the sector Shared Equality and Diversity training Commitment to the Leitch Report ‘Skills Pledge’ Developing working practices between the training providers and the public sector organisations to enable the providers to effectively respond to the sector’s training agenda Arranging ‘Good Practice’ seminars It was agreed to establish two theme groups. Volunteers were sought for Chairs of the theme groups. PC indicated that Simon Stewart of New College Stamford would be prepared to become Chair of the ‘Learning and Development’ theme group. Other members of the Steering Group who indicated that they would wish to become active members of the L&D Theme Group included KH, MR and NM. DB indicated that he would be happy to become Chair of the ‘Recruitment and Retention’ theme group. Other members of the Steering Group who indicated that they would like to become active members of the R&R Theme Group included VS, MR and Cathy O’Reilly. Cathy’s participation was nominated by RH. It was agreed to invite other members of the Compact to join the two Theme Groups via email. Other issues that were identified in the ‘Working Together’ event were access to ‘Train 2 Gain’ programmes and the relatively low number of apprenticeship programmes being delivered to public sector employees. It was agreed to deal with these issues separately. Also, JB agreed to facilitate the sharing of demographic information that may advise the work of the two theme groups. Actions : (i) CD to work with the Chairs of the Theme Groups to arrange the first meetings of these groups. Each group to produce a SMART Action Plan addressing the key issues identified in the Working Together Event. (ii) MC to host an event to inform Public Sector organisations about access opportunities relating to the Apprenticeship and ‘Train 2 Gain’ training programmes. (NB: That since the SG meeting the arrangements for the first Theme Group meetings have been established. The R&R Theme Group meeting will take place on Wednesday 20th June 2007 at the Crown House, Job Centre Plus offices in Lincoln at 10.00 am. The L&D Theme Group meeting will take place on Thursday 21st June 2007 at the DonkinITEX Learning Lounge in Boston at 10.00 am) Growing and rationalising the membership / distribution list CD reported that the membership distribution list had now grown to over 100 contacts within the public sector. CD sought advice from the Group Steering Group regarding the fact that many large organisations had more than one contact on the list and that District and Borough Councillors were listed. It was agreed to keep the multiple entries per organisation for the present to ensure that the communications relating to Compact activity received maximum coverage. It was agreed to remove the Councillors from the distribution list. The Group also indicated that they could quickly review the current list and suggest amendments/updates/corrections. Actions : (i) CD to rationalise list in line with agreed advice from the Group; (ii) CD to liaise with LA to ensure that the list has an appropriate and representative list of contacts; (iii) CD to send current list to SG members for checking and updating Next Steering Group meeting It was agreed that the next Steering Group meeting is to take place in late July. Action : CD to liaise with Chair to arrange date, time and venue for next Steering Group meeting. (NB: That since the meeting the arrangements for the next Steering Group meeting have been established. The meeting will take place on Thursday 26 th July 2007 at the East Lindsey District Council offices in Manby at 10.00 am)