CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT TIMELINE ASSIGNMENT
1. Using a computer or a poster, students will construct a timeline of Civil Rights Movement events
which occurred between 1954 and 1968.
2. Students will be graded according to:
3. For information, students should go to Google.com and type in Civil Rights Movement
4. Timelines will be displayed on the walls in the hall outside the classroom as part of the
Black History Month celebration.
5. Title: Civil Rights Movement, 1954-1968
6. The following events should be placed on the timeline:
Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka
Rosa Parks refuses to give up her bus seat
Montgomery Bus Boycott
Civil Rights Act of 1957
Integration of Central High School
Founding of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC)
Civil Rights Act of 1960
March on Washington
Violence in Birmingham, Alabama
Civil Rights Act of 1964
Voting Rights Act of 1965
Assassination of Malcolm X
Beginning of the Black Panther Movement
Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.