W & D Chapter 11
Vocabulary words: define all ten vocabulary words.
Outline the chapter
1. What are the three reasons why interest groups are so common in the United States as
opposed to Europe, and what are the four reasons why interest groups begin and grow in
the United States?
2. What is the difference between an Institutional Interest group and a Membership Interest
group? Give an example of each.
3. What are the incentives to join an interest group? What would be the incentive for your
grandmother to join the AARP?
4. Give the purpose and examples (the names of the social groups) of the Environmental
Movement, the Feminist Movement, and the Union Movement.
5. Describe the three ways money is raised for special interest groups. Why is it easier for
institutional lobbies to attract more lawyers and money than public-interest lobbies?
6. Why are upper and upper-middle class people more likely to join special interest groups?
Is it true that “…the availability of political resources as [is] an important clue to possible
differences in the outcomes of political conflicts”? Explain your answer.
7. How do lobbyists use ratings and political cues to get representatives to pass or propose
legislation? Why is it vital for a lobbyist to tell the truth on an issue?
8. What is the outsider strategy of lobbyists? How is this strategy different than lobbyists
100 years ago? How has technology changed special interest groups?
9. How much influence do PAC contributions to political candidates have on the passing of
10. Describe the ways in which special interest groups are regulated by the Federal
Extra Credit: George Washington argued against special interest groups in the United States
as harmful in his Farewell Address, while Madison argued that they were natural and would
ensure individual liberties. Neither could see into the future – which one do you think was
right? Explain your answer.
Reminders: The Unit Test is October 30th!
Persuasive papers are assigned this week!
The end of the quarter is here, and some of you are not passing. I am issuing a
one-time offer to make up ONE assignment that you are missing for ½ credit.
This offer ends Next Monday.
Point Value ____/35