EXCLAMATIONS WITH WHAT / HOW
We use What (a/an) ..! with nouns (with or without adjectives):
What a mess!
What beautiful countryside!
What lovely flowers!
We use How ..! with adjectives and adverbs alone:
Note the word order if the sentence continues:
What a boring film it was!
How boring the film was!
How beautifully she sings!
We use such (a/an).. with nouns (with or without adjectives):
It was such a difficult exam that almost nobody passed.
We haven’t had such good weather for a long time.
They had such terrible problems there that they never want to go back.
We use so .. with adjectives and adverbs alone:
The exam was so difficult that almost nobody passed.
He ran so fast that the police couldn’t catch him.
Note: we normally use so and such followed by a clause, but sometimes we use them as exclamations
(but only with the right intonation):
I’m so happy!
Don’t confuse so and very:
When we got home, I was very tired.
When we got home, I was so tired that I went straight to bed.
Complete with so, such (a/n), so much or so many.
1. We made ______________ noise that the neighbours phoned the police.
2. I have never heard _____________ ridiculous story!
3. He made ______________ mistakes that he had to write the composition again.
4. Don't drive ______________ fast! We aren't in a hurry.
5. You shouldn't drink _____________ coffee. It's bad for you.
6. It was raining _____________ hard that we didn't go out all day.
7. He tells _____________ funny jokes! I laughed ____________ I nearly died.
8. Don't be _____________ idiot!
9. I have put on _____________ weight that my clothes don't fit me.
10. The traffic is ____________ bad these days that I usually take my bike.
Complete the exclamations with what (a/n) or how.
1. __________ awful weather!
2. __________ beautifully she dances!
3. __________ useless machine! It never works properly!
4. __________ kind of you to send me those flowers!
5. __________ pessimist you are! I'm sure it'll be O.K.
6. __________ delicious smell! It makes me feel hungry.
7. __________ nice it would be not to have to work!
8. __________ wonderful news! Congratulations!
9. __________ nerve!
10. Are you going to China? __________ exciting!
Change the sentences into exclamations with what (a/n) or how.
e.g. It's a lovely day – What a lovely day it is!
1. This programme is really boring.
2. It's a real coincidence that we were born in the same town.
3. This soup tastes quite disgusting!