The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
DIRECTIONS: Please answer the following questions in complete
sentences on a piece of notebook paper. Make sure you use part of the
question to start your answer. Do not begin any answer with a pronoun
(he, she, it, they, etc). Please be specific and detailed in your answers!
When possible – support your answers with page numbers where the
information can be found in your book.
1. How do Captain Jaggery’s quarters (cabin) differ from the rest of
2. How does Captain Jaggery describe his job as the leader of the
ship’s crew to Charlotte?
3. Why did the captain show Charlotte the round robin and ask her to
be his eyes and ears among the crew? How could this be
4. Why do you think Charlotte lies about where she got the dirk? What
would have happened to Zachariah if Charlotte had given his
1. Why does the Seahawk have a jail? What would be the worst thing
about a jail below deck on the ship Charlotte was on?
2. Mr. Barlow tried to give Charlotte advice. What did he say to
3. What very eerie feeling did Charlotte have in the darkened hold?
1. Why does Charlotte decide not to tell the Captain about the
2. What does Charlotte mean when she thinks that both Zachariah
and Captain Jaggery are courting her for friendship?
1. Why does Charlotte spend so much time with the crew?
2. Why did Charlotte look forward to tea with the Captain?
3. What did Charlotte’s response to Zachariah’s gift of sailor’s clothing
indicate about Charlotte?
4. Captain Jaggery worked the crew very hard and criticized
everything they did. What examples can you provide of the things
he expected the crew to do?
5. What do you think Charlotte meant at the end of Chapter 8 when
she said, “ But the storm was – at first – man made”? To what
different kinds of storms might she have been referring?
1. What startling revelations did Charlotte overhear and learn in the
2. Why did Charlotte decide to tell Captain Jaggery? What did
3. How did Morgan threaten Charlotte?
4. How did Captain Jaggery react to Charlotte’s tale?
1. How did the crew respond to the Captain’s, “All hands!” call? What
mistake did the mutinous crew make?
2. How did Mr. Cranick conduct himself with the confrontation with
3. Was it right for Captain Jaggery to shoot Cranick? What other ways
could he have handled the mutiny?
4. Why did Zachariah defy the Captain? Why do you think the
Captain didn’t shoot Zachariah?
5. Captain Jaggery gives Charlotte all the credit for unmasking the
mutiny. What do you think would have happened if Charlotte had
not told the Captain?
6. What horrible thing did the Captain demand that Charlotte do?
Who did the Captain choose to punish?
Do you think he was the second in command?