- hats for everyone
STURT SUMMER SCHOOL
4th-9th January 2010
$ 5 3 6 GST included
pay tutor for materials used
Make new hats, rework old hats. Learn how hats should look, feel and stay on
your head. Make a classical hat from straw or felt, a race hat, a simple sunhat or
try out wondrous creations till the soul dances. Everyone will be accommodated
from beginners to the professional.
Learn to use Sinamay (a stiff open-weave fabric spun from the fibres of the
banana plant, used in making hats) and other materials to create your unique
headwear item. Students pay directly to the tutor for materials used - from
$25 - $100 for one hat depending on size, complexity, whether using recycled
materials etc. Students will complete at least 2 hats.
Tutor Waltraud Reiner was born in Austria where she completed a fashion degree.
She has been a milliner since 1986 and has been self employed since 1990. She
has taught millinery at tertiary level in Australia, USA, Europe and Dubai. She is
the founder of Melbourne’s Hat Extravaganza and Australian Hatweek which
runs in September each year.
The Summer School runs for 5½ days between Monday 4th and Saturday 9th
January and the classes are held from 9am to 4.30pm (12.30 on Saturday). Tea
and coffee are provided.
STURT SUMMER SCHOOL STURT
Range Rd Mittagong NSW
Ph 02 4860 2080 or 02 4860 2083 STURT
www.sturt.nsw.edu.au SUMMER SCHOOL
millinery - hats for everyone
with Waltraud Reiner
Please bring with you the following:
• Sewing box including thimble, tape measure, strong household steel
pins and pins with round plastic heads, paper scissors and fabric scissors,
a variety of thread colours you use the most, Straw or Milliner’s needles
– mixed sizes (available at Lincraft or Spotlight)
• Pliers to cut wire
• Hat blocks if you have any
• Small glass beads in colour of your choice
• ‘450’ craft glue or similar (available at Lincraft or Spotlight)
• Trims - as in brooches and other bits and pieces if you have any
• Hats from second hand shops or old ones of your own to cut up and
• A sewing machine (if you are driving) and a power board
• Trims, feathers, flowers etc if you have any
• Pen and paper to take notes
• A mug for your tea or coffee
N.B. Waltraud will have supplies of sinamay and ribbons and other trims for you
to purchase. Students pay directly to the tutor for materials used - from
$25 - $100 for one hat depending on size, complexity etc. Students will
complete at least 2 hats.