STIMULANTS AND DEPRESSANTS
1. People who hurt themselves with drugs belong to one
or two groups, _______________ and
2. Using a drug in a way other then how it is supposed to
be used is _______________________.
3. Using substances that are against the law or not
supposed to be taken into the human body is
Drug Misuse Drug Abuse
Using a drug without Using a drug for purposes
following directions other than medical use
Changing the amount of a (such as “getting high”)
drug taken without first Taking a substance that was
getting a doctor’s approval not meant to enter the body
Using a drug prescribed for Using a drug in a way that
someone else hurts the user’s mental,
Using a drug for longer than emotional, or social well-
a doctor advises being
4. ___________________ are drugs that speed up the
body’s functions; they cause the blood pressure to rise,
speed up breathing, cause the heart to beat faster,
cause a user to become jittery and excited; can be
5. An __________________ is a physical or mental need
for a drug or other substance.
6. ___________________ is a mild stimulant that people
are often unaware that they consume; often found in
coffee, tea, and sodas.
7. ___________________ are drugs prescribed to
stimulate the central nervous system; highly addictive.
8. ___________________ is an illegal stimulant; can
change eating and sleeping habits and damages
9. _____________ is a more pure and powerful form of
cocaine; when taken, it reaches the brain within
seconds; causes a user’s heart, blood pressure, and
body temperature to soar.
10. ___________________ are drugs that tend to
slow down the body’s functions and reactions; they
lower the heart rate and blood pressure.
11. There are three main groups of depressants:
a. ___________________ - can calm a person
without making the person less alert.
b. ___________________ - meant to help a person
relax; sometimes given to people who have
c. ___________________ - strong drugs that bring
12. Depressants can cause an individual to develop
nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, or even go into a
______________, a deep, unconscious state.
13. __________________ are drugs meant to bring
on sleep or loss of feeling; examples are morphine,
codeine, and paregoric.
14. _________________ is an illegal narcotic that is
strongly addictive; lowers the user’s feeling of pain and
produces shallow breathing. It can also cause a person
to go into a coma.
STIMULANT FACT SHEET
DRUG WHAT IT’S HOW HOW WHAT IT CAN DO TO
CALLED IT IT’S YOU
Amphetamine(s) Speed Pills Swallowed Interferes with muscle
Uppers Tablets By needle Causes uneven
Pep pills heartbeat, rapid rise is
Footballs Capsules Inhaled blood pressure, physical
Bumblebees collapse, high fever
Black Beauties Leads to stroke, heart
Hearts attack, and death
Cocaine Coke White Inhaled Interferes with workings
Snow Powder of brain
White By needle Causes nervousness and
Flake Smoked Damages nose lining,
Lady liver, and heart
Snowbirds Causes heart failure and
Big C death
Crack (a form of Rock Light- Smoked Causes increase in pulse
cocaine) Freebase rocks brown rate, blood pressure,
Causes loss of appetite
Leads to seizure, heart
attack, and death