Ceiling Suspended Heat Pump Units
HVAC Guide Specifications
Size range: 1 ½ to 5 Tons Cooling Capacity
Carrier Model Number: 40QAE and 38QR
Part 1 – General
1.01 SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
Indoor, under-ceiling mounted, direct-expansion fan coil to be matched with the 38QR
commercial heat pump condensing units.
1.02 QUALITY ASSURANCE
Unit shall be rated (when matched with appropriate outdoor unit) per ARI Standards
210/240. Units shall be certified by UL and CSA.
1.03 DELIVERY, STORAGE, AND HANDLING
Units shall be stored and handled per unit manufacturer’s recommendations.
1.04 WARRANTY One-year parts, 5-year compressor limited warranty
Part 2 – Products
Indoor, direct-expansion, ceiling-suspended fan coil. Fan coil shall be shipped
complete with cooling coil, fan, fan motor, piping connectors, electrical controls,
solid-state electromechanical control system, and ceiling mounting brackets.
B. Unit Cabinet:
Cabinet shall be zinc-coated bonderized steel finished with a baked enamel paint.
Inlet grilles shall be attractively styled, high-impact polystyrene. Matching mounting
brackets shall be provided.
Fan shall be centrifugal blower type with air intake in the bottom rear of the unit and
discharge in the front. Automatic, motor-driven vertical air sweep shall be provided
Coils shall be copper tube with aluminum fins and galvanized steel tube sheets. Fins
shall be bonded to the tubes by mechanical expansion. A drip pan under the coil shall
have a drain connection for hose attachment to remove condensate.
Note: The units use the AccuRater piston refrigerant metering device in the indoor
unit (for cooling) and at the outdoor unit liquid line service valve for heating.
Motors shall be permanently lubricated ball bearing with inherent overload
protection. Fan motors shall be 3-speed.
Controls shall consist of a solid-state electromechanical control system which shall
control space temperature, determine optimum fan speed. The temperature control
range shall be from 64 F to 84 F. The unit shall have the following functions as a
1. An automatic restart after power failure at the same operating conditions as at
2. Non-programmable thermostat to provide cooling and heating set points and
day/nigh setback modes.
3. Evaporator coil freeze protection.
4. Wired control to enter set points and operating conditions.
5. Filter status indication after 250 hours of indoor fan operation.
6. Automatic airsweep control to provide on or off activation of airsweep
7. Cooling mode to provide modulating fan speed based on difference between
temperature setpoint and space temperature.
8. Fan only operation to provide room air circulation when no cooling is
9. A 50-ft indoor to outdoor control connection cable shall be provided with the
fan coil unit.
10. Fan speed control shall be user-selectable: high, medium, low, or automatic
operation during all operating modes.
11. A time delay shall prevent compressor restart in less than 2 or 4 minutes
12. Automatic heating-to-cooling changeover to provide automatic heating and
cooling operation. Control shall include deadband to prevent rapid mode
Unit shall have filter track with factory-supplied cleanable filters.
H. Electrical Requirements:
Unit shall operate on 208 v or 230 v 60 Hz power supply as specified on the
equipment schedule. Power and control connections shall have terminal block
I. Operating Characteristics:
J. Special Features (Field Installed):
1. Internal Condensate Pump:
The condensate pump shall remove condensate from the drain pan when gravity
drainage cannot be used. The lift capability of the condensate pump shall be 20
inches. Float control shall be in the condensate sump to shut unit down in case of
2. Fresh Air Intake Kit:
Kit shall include filter and duct connections to provide for outdoor ventilation air
(must be used with Power Ventilation Kit).
3. Indoor Guard Kit:
Kit shall include a guard for the discharge grille to prevent objects from entering
the air sweep mechanism.
4. Electronic Programmable Thermostat:
Thermostat shall be commercial grade and shall provide 7-day, 4-event
scheduling. Integral sub-base shall be included. Thermostat shall also provide 3-
speed fan switchover capability, air sweep auto changeover, and shall not require
a battery to retain memory.
5. Power Ventilation Kit:
Kit must be used with the accessory fresh air kit when fresh air must be ducted in.
The kit will overcome duct static to provide a constant supply of ventilation air.
Kit consists of booster fan and adjustable speed control to properly balance fan to
achieve required airflow rate.