-Union Public Service Commission of India conducts various
competitive exams, Civil Services/IAS exam is one among them.
-UPSC conducts Civil Services Exam every Year to recruit eligible
candidates to the post of IAS - Indian Adminstrative Service, IFS -
Indian Foreign Service,
IPS - Indian Police Service, IAAS - Indian Audit and Accounts
IRS - Indian Railway Service....etc. various Group A and Group B
Eligibility for the Exam,
- a candidate should have attained 21 yrs age.
- a candidate should atleast have completed his degree from any
- For General category - 30 yrs and 4 attempts.
- For Other backward classes(OBC) - 33 yrs and 7 attempts.
- For SC/ST - can take exam till 35 yrs age.
About the Exam,
- its a 3 stage exam i.e. Preliminary exam, Mains exam, and
- Preliminary Exam is of Objective Type.
- Mains Exam is of Written/subjective.
- Interview for personality test.
About the marks,
- Preliminary exam is of 450 marks. it includes 2 papers i.e. one
compulsory paper General Studies, each question carries 1 marks
each, so total questions will be 150 X 1 = 150 marks.
- and the other optional paper of your choice, total 120 questions will
be their, each question carries 2.5 marks. i.e total will be 120 X 2.5 =
- General Studies covers questions from topics like
- Optional paper is one which we have to chose among the 21 choices.
eg.one can keep History as his/her choice or Geography or
pshycology or Sociology etc
- if one qualifies in the preliminary exam, then he is eligible to write
the next stage i.e Mains Exam which is written one.
- Here again General Studies will be compulsory paper, but here it
will be 2 papers.
- And candidates have to chose 2 optional papers in this exam. eg.
history and geography or geography and pshycology or sociology and
history etc...depends on his/her interest.
- Each paper i.e.
General studies paper 1 - 300 marks
General Studies paper 2 - 300 marks.
Optional 1 paper 1 - 300
optional 2 paper 2 - 300
optional 2 paper 1 - 300
optional 2 paper 2 - 300
Essay - 200
General English - 300
any one national language - 300
so total is 2600 marks, among this general english and national
language paper will be qualifying in nature, so their marks are not
counted in the ranking score, so the total ranking score will be 2000
- if one qualifies Mains Exam, he will be eligible for next 3 stage i.e
Interview or personality test.
- Interview carries 300 marks. This 300 marks will be added in your
ranking score 2000, so the total ranking score will be 2300 marks.
- To be eligible for IAS/IPS/IFS posts, one needs to score atleast
1100/1200 in mains and 150/200 in personality test i.e. around
1300/1400 marks out of 2300 marks.
-For preparation plz click on this link
Thank you .. wish you all the best