Troop 1257 Committee Meeting
September 25, 2003
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 by the Chairman. The following were in attendance:
Robert Turner, BB Anders, Charlie Woodhouse, Vicki Girdis, Chris Miller, Mike Saunders,
Walker Moore, Paul Petersen, Mike Glor and Lisa Ellis. Minutes of the August meeting were
reviewed. A correction was made to eliminate the event coordinator recruiting responsibility
from the job description of the Outdoor Activities Chairman. The revised minutes were
- Mr. Glor reported that he has received 6 month program plans from each ASM.
- It was noted that the planned December event (laser tag) is not allowed by the Guide to
Safe Scouting. The PLC will work up an alternative.
- New policy regarding tents and cooking equipment: none will be allowed to be put away
wet of dirty. Scouts will take equipment home and return it “ready for issue”.
- An annual program planning budget was submitted for Committee review.
- The SM staff is working on a Troop Policy Manual.
- Court of Honor planning is complete. Well done to Zeke and Ms. Ellis!
- Den Chief Training is scheduled for October 18, scouts are encouraged to consider serving
as Den Chiefs.
- We have no adults scheduled to attend the current round of training. “Trained” status of all
registered leaders is requested at the October meeting.
- Popcorn sales at $6296, approximately $2000 profit to the troop. 10% of profit is
authorized for prizes. Thanks to Ms. Reutter for all coordination, and to Mr. Turner for
making the pick-up.
- The Committee awaits the wreath sales plan (Mr. Hughlett)
- Brief financial report submitted. Bottom line: Troop enters the new program year in
good shape. Eight families still owe annual dues.
- No known issues.
- November outing (shotgun) is 14-16 Nov. Camp Snyder is reserved.
- Working to standardize/formalize procedures.
Trip Coordination/Procedures Committee
- Working… draft presented to Chairman
- The work of this Committee is different from the Troop Policy Manual being worked by
- The trailer was delivered by Mr. Moore today, and it is parked by the shed. The
Committee is responsible to detail the exterior and build out the interior.
Financial records review
- Review of financial records and procedures is complete. The review recommends a
standard “Request for Reimbursement” form, with clear indication of who authorized the
expense. Thanks to Mr. Monroe for reviewing our records, and to Dr. Ferrer for
establishing and maintaining them.
Summer Camp planning for 2004
- We have requested space at Treasure Island Scout Reservation, Cradle of Liberty Council.
- Once confirmation is received, another week of camp will be planned at Camp Ottari.
Timberline planning review (Jan 9-11, 2004)
- Mr. Saunders presented a detailed review of the pricing plan
- The plan was approved as presented, with a recommendation to increase the individual
price by $5-10 to provide more of a cushion, should the trip be undersubscribed.
- Thanks to Mr. Saunders for the planning that has already gone into this trip, and for the
significant work he will do as coordinator.
- Lots of good, current information is available at the troop website: www.troop1257.org
Thanks to Ms. Ellis for collecting and posting information.
- Next Roundtable, Thursday, October 9. Ms. Girdis will attend for the Committee.
- Next Troop Committee meeting, Thursday, Oct 30. Mr. Turner has offered to chair this
- The Chairman handed out copies of the Scoutmaster Handbook, Troop Committee
Guidebook, and Senior Patrol Leader Handbook.
Next Troop Camping Event
- Venture Patrol, October 3-5, North Anna Nuclear Station (6 Scouts, 2 adults).
Mr. Petersen is in charge of this event.
- District Camporee, October 24-26, Bealeton Airport (includes Flying Circus air show).
Parents are needed to support competitive events on Saturday.
- Training was postponed because the meeting ran past the scheduled time. Copies of the
responsibilities of various Troop Committee members (from the Troop Committee
Guidebook) were handed out.
Passing the Gavel
- A question was raised regarding the assignment of Merit badge Counselors (MBC). MBCs
are assigned by the Scoutmaster in conjunction with his initial signature on the Merit
Badge Application (blue card).
- The Chairman announced his resignation, to be effective in December, 2003.
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:45. The Chairman apologized for running late,
and thanked all participants for a very productive meeting.