SNC2D Exam Review Questions
1. Fill in this chart using the periodic table:
Element # Valence Valence Element # Valence Valence
2. Fill in this chart using the periodic table:
Compound Number of Total Compound Names of Number
different number elements of atoms
elements of atoms of each
3. Complete the table on ionic and covalent bonds making note of differences.
4. What type of reaction occurs between sodium and chlorine?
5. Use the chemical equation below to explain what mass of hydrogen would be produced if 5.0 g of
magnesium were mixed with 10.0 g of nitric acid and 7.5 g of magnesium nitrate is formed.
Mg + HNO3 H2 + Mg(NO3)2
6. Write the names of the following:
7. Write the formulas for the following:
Diphosphorous pentoxide Carbon monoxide
Iron (III) oxide Potassium Nitrate
Ammonium phosphate Lead (IV) Nitride
8. What are the names of the 5 basic types of chemical reactions.
9. a. Write general equations of the 5 basic types of chemical reactions.
b. For each type of chemical reaction, write the general reaction. Provide an example.
10. Identify the type of chemical reaction for each below, and then balance.
a) NH3 H2 + N2 d) Br2 + KI KBr + I2
b) AlCl3 + Na2CO3 Al2(CO3)3 + NaCl e) C3H8 + O2 CO2 + H2
c) O2 + Fe Fe2O3 f)HgCl2 + SnCl2 Hg2Cl2 + SnCl4
11. Complete the table on Acid and Bases.
12. What is the general neutralization equation for an acid and base?
13. Name 5 household substances that are basic.
14. Name 5 household substances that are acidic.
15. Explain the pH scale.
1.Define each of the following methods of producing light:
Bioluminescence incandescence fluorescence phosphorescence chemiluminescenc
electric discharge electroluminescence
2. Rank the following sources of light in order of highest energy to lowest energy.
Radiowaves Infrared waves Gamma rays X-rays Microwaves Ultraviolet Rays
3. If cyan light is put on the following, what colour is observed?
a) blue plates d) a yellow rose
b) a red tomato e) green beans
c) a magenta sweater
4. What would be the resulting colour seen if a red and green filter is placed in front of a White light?
5. When drawing light rays, how do you determine where the image is located?
6. Make a sketch of a stick-figure to show the difference between an image that is virtual and an image
that is real.
7. Where is the focal point located relative to the centre of curvature of the mirror?
8. What are two properties of the image seen from a plain mirror?
9. A projector has a magnification of 50. How tall will the projected image be if the slide is 2.8 cm
10. An object is placed 75 cm from a concave mirror. A real image is produced 50 cm away. What is the
11. Name 3 places where concave mirrors are useful. Give three places where convex mirrors are
12. Draw ray diagrams for both a concave and convex mirrors when the image is outside of the focal point
and between the focal point and the mirror.
13. How does a convex lens differ from a concave lens?
14. Where would you place an object in front of a convex lens if you wanted an image that is real and larger
than the object?
15. Where would you place an object in front of a concave lens if you wanted an image that is virtual and
larger than the object?
16. Explain what happens to the image of an object as you bring the object close to concave lens (diverging)
from a far distance moving toward the lens.
17. Draw a ray diagram for a convex lens (f=2.5 cm, d o= 3 cm). Describe the image. Draw a ray diagram for
a concave lens (with the same f and do) and describe the image formed.
18. What are uses for convex and concave lens?
19. What conditions must be met for total internal reflection?
20. Why does light bend when going from one material to another material?
21. What is refraction of light? What are the laws of reflection?
22. Light travels from liquid (1.28) to a glass at an angle of incidence of 25 degrees. If the
angle of refraction in the glass is 21, what is the index of refraction of the glass?
23. Light travels from liquid (n= 1.25) to a crystal (n= 1.54) at an angle of incidence of 45
degrees. Determine the angle of refraction of the light in the ruby.
24. Light travels from air to a liquid at an angle of incidence of 45 degrees. If the angle of
refraction in the glass is 41, what is the index of refraction of the liquid?
25. What is the critical angle of light going from glass (1.60) to water (1.33)?
26. What are the parts of the eye (structure and function)? What type of lens would be used to correct
1. What is an organelle?
2. List the structure and function of the cell membrane, cytoplasm, nucleus, mitochondria, vacuoles,
lysosomes, golgi, cell wall, ribosomes
3. List 4 differences between plant and animal cells.
4. What is the structure of the cell membrane?
5. What is the difference between active and passive transport?
6. Explain the process of diffusion. How does it differ from the process of osmosis?
7. Why do cells divide instead of simply growing larger?
8. List each of the stages of mitosis and describe them.
9. What is a stem cell?Why are scientists studying stem cells?
10. What does the term differentiation mean?
11. What does the term tissue mean? List the form, function and location of the following tissues:
epithelial,connective, muscle, nerve, epidermal, ground,meristematic,vascular
12. List the following terms in order from biggest to smallest: cell , organelle, organ, molecule, tissue,
organism, organ system
13. Describe the structure and functions of the following terms as they relate to the human digestive
system: Teeth, esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine
14. What is meant by the term homeostasis?
15. What are 4 body systems? What is the main function of each system?
16. Describe the interaction between two body systems listed in the question above.
1. Distinguish between weather and climate.
2. How is the heat of the sun distributed from the equator?
3. Explain how the change of density of air leads to a convection current.
4. a) Define the term albedo. b)Name 3 surfaces that have a high albedo.
5. What are Greenhouse Gas’s? Name 4 examples.
6. Compare the natural Greenhouse Effect (GHE)to the anthropogenic GHE.
7. How can a tree be both a carbon source and a carbon sink?
8. What are some impacts of climate change?
9. What are some ways climate change can be stopped?