The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
8 Grade Language Arts-Ms. Pawlowicz
The following questions and correspond to each week we will be reading the novel. When answering the chapter questions, be sure to
ANSWER IN COMPLETE SENTENCES.
Chapters 1 4. Why doesn't Ponyboy like referring to Sodapop as a 5. Why does Pony have a problem with Johnny's idea to
1. Describe each of the characters and their relationship dropout? disguise themselves?
with one another. 5. What is "a weed" slang for in 1967? 6. What does pony mean when he says, "I was
2. Who are the socs? Who are the greasers? 6. Why does Dally look sick now (p. 33)? supposed to be the deep one" (p. 75)?
3. How do Ponyboy's relationships with Darry and 7. What literary device does the author use to describe 7. Why does Johnny think is a hero (p. 76)? Do you
Sodapop differ? Explain. Johnny's mugging (pgs. 31-34)? think Dally is a hero based on what he did?
4. Why is the 'gang' important to Johnny? 8. What does Cherry explain as the difference between 8. Why does Pony realize he doesn't like Dally? Can you
5. How does Ponyboy react to what Sodapop tells him the socs and the greasers? explain what he means by this?
about Darry? 9. When and how did Pony's parents die? 9. What's a 'heater'? Why does Dally have one?
6. Do you think Darry loves Ponyboy? Why does he treat 10. What happens when Pony comes home after his 10. Who's the spy for the greasers? Does this surprise
Ponyboy the way he does? curfew? you? Why or why not?
7. What does Ponyboy mean on page 8 when he says, "I Chapters 4-5 Chapters 6-7
lie to myself all the time"? Do you ever lie to yourself? 1. What does Pony mean when he says the socs were 1. Do you think Dally's parents have influenced the way
Why? "reeling pickled" on page 54? he is; his personality? Explain.
Chapters 2-3 2. What major event happens in this chapter? 2. Why doesn't Dally want Johnny to turn himself in?
1. Who is the fuzz? (p. 20) 3. How did the author foreshadow that johnny would 3. What "other side" of Dallas is revealed in this
2. Are the names Ponyboy and Sodapop nicknames? use his knife in chapter 2? chapter?
Explain. 4. What would your advice be to Johhny and Ponyboy if 4. Why do you think Johnny wasn't scared, despite the
3. Who are Cherry and Marcia? they'd come to you for help instead of Dally? obvious danger, on page 92?
5. Explain what Pony means when he says Soda 9. What do you think Johnny's last words to Pony Chapter 12
"reminds me of a colt" on p. 101. mean? 1. What 'circumstances' does Ponyboy’s teache refer
6. What condition is Johnny in after the fire? Chapters 10-11 to? What circumstances does Ponyboy think his
7. Why would being crippled be worse for Johnny than 1. How does Pony's dreaming, or lying to himself, finally teacher is referring to?
someone else? work in this chapter? 2. Why doesn't Ponyboy feel scared when the socs
8. "Maybe people are younger when they are asleep" 2. Why was Johnny's dying so difficult for Dally to approach him and he threatens them with a broken
(p.104). What do you think about this comment? handle? bottle (p.170-171)? How is thi a dramatic change from
9. What is a juvenile delinquent (p. 107)? Find a 3. Why do you think Dally would have wanted to die? the Ponyboy we have seen up until this point?
definition on the internet, in a dictionary, or create 4. Explain why pony might rather anyone's hate than 3. What does Darry mean when he says, "you don't just
your own based on your own knowledge. their pity (p.162)? stop living because you lose someone" (p.173)?
10. Why would Two-Bit think Johnny, Dally, and Pony 5. What do you think is going on with Ponyboy when he 4. How do we know Sandy didn't love Soda as much as
were heroes all along; before they saved the kids? says, "Johnny didn't have anyhing to do with Bob's he loved her?
Chapters 8-9 getting killed" (p.166)? 5. Explain how Darry and Ponyboy play tug of war with
1. How does what the doctor first says, on page 119, 6. How long was Ponyboy asleep? Why? Soda.
foreshadow Johnny's condition? 7. Do you think that Ponyboy should be placed with 6. What do we learn was so special about Johnny
2. "We needed Johnny as much as he needed the gang. foster parents? What would be the positives and (p.178)?
And for the same reason" (p.121). What do you think negatives for Ponyboy in a foster home 7. What does Ponyboy end up doing for his English
Pony means, and what is the reason? 8. Why is it easier for Ponyboy to talk to Soda assignment?
3. What does Pony mean on p. 123 when he says, "we compared to Darry? When you need someone to talk
could get along without anyone but Johnny"? to, who do you turn to for advice? Why?
4. If Darry didn't have Soda and Pony, why would he be
5. What does Cherry mean when she says Bob "wasn't
just anyone" on p.129?
6. On the bottom of p.133, when Pony asks what kind of
a world it is, what comment is he making about how
society judges people?
7. Why do the boys fight? Why is Pony different?
8. What is the difference between Tim Sheppard's gang
and Ponyboy's? Explain how Pony feels this
difference might give his group the upper hand?