Page 4D Laredo Morning Times Friday, December 21, 2001
TOP BOX Tim Allen seeks revenge as Joe Somebody
OFFICE HITS BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN fearing a lawsuit.
AP Entertainment Writer But Joe’s co-workers suddenly know his
(Weekend of Dec. 14-16) name, and he’s a local celebrity for standing
“Joe Somebody” has a lot of heart for a up to the thug everyone hates. Women now
1. “VANILLA SKY,” revenge comedy, but the movie never decides hang out with him at bars, he’s invited to play
$25 million. whether it favors melancholy or humor. squash at the company gym, and executives
2. “OCEAN’S ELEVEN,”
There’s a sad edge to Tim Allen’s finally consider him for promotion.
3. “NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE,” performance as Joe, a dowdy audiovisual The biggest laughs come from Jim Belushi’s
$12.6 million. technician who decides to get revenge on the silly performance as a former action-film star
4. “HARRY POTTER AND THE corporate bully who humiliated him. who teaches martial arts to “losers” like Joe.
SORCERER’S STONE” It was daddy-daughter day at the firm when One of his film posters advertises a movie
$9.9 million. Joe confronted Mark McKinney (Patrick called “Tom Sawyer Must Die,” which Belushi
5. “BEHIND ENEMY LINES,” Warburton of “Seinfeld”) about taking the last AP Photo/JOE LEDERER
dryly describes as a “loose adaptation” in
$5.4 million. spot in the company’s most convenient HEY! Tim Allen makes an emphatic point to which Sawyer is a “rival ninja.”
6. “MONSTERS, INC.,” parking lot. McKinney responds by slapping Joe’s daughter doesn’t want him to fight the
a patient and attentive mannequin in 20th
$5 million. Joe and then flattening him with a jaw- bully, of course, because she thinks it’s
7. “SPY GAME,” Century Fox’s “Joe Somebody.”
crunching punch. childish. She also thinks he’ll get killed.
$2.5 million. “I think maybe I’ll just take you to school,” a wasted youth. But director John Pasquin Will Joe do the right thing? What do you
8. “BLACK KNIGHT,” Joe says to his daughter (12-year-old Hayden (who also directed Allen in the sitcom “Home think?
$2 million. Panettiere) as they drive away. Improvement” and the Christmas fantasy “The The comedy is only lukewarm in “Joe
9. “SHALLOW HAL,” Santa Clause”) plays these scenes so straight
The line could have been played for a laugh, Somebody,” but the story’s moral message
but Allen invites genuine sympathy as a man that you feel reluctant to laugh at the poor sap. about tolerance and generosity is likely to
$773,164. who no longer aspires to even the simplest of Joe challenges McKinney to a rematch. His appeal to families seeking something tame
dreams, such as impressing his kid. smarmy boss (Greg Germann, rehashing the and silly for the holidays.
SOURCE: Associated Press Joe is divorced, stuck in a nowhere job, now-tiresome sleaze of his Fish character on
devoid of friends and aching from regrets over “Ally McBeal”) tries to talk him out of it, rightly
IN THEATERS ‘Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius’ has
SOON: lots of charm, good humor, guts
January BY ANTHONY BREZNICAN supermarket for a quarter.
AP Entertainment Writer How could he build it? Where did
“IMPOSTER” he learn to fly? How does he
“ORANGE COUNTY” Nickelodeon’s new comedy, breathe at that altitude?
“BLACK HAWK DOWN” “Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius,” Only a joyless grouch would be
“STATE PROPERTY” takes the “garage band” approach tied up in knots by these
“THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES” to computer animation: It makes questions.
SOURCE: Upcomingmovies.com, up for its lack of technique with a The overall feeling in “Jimmy
movie studios lot of guts, charm and good humor. Neutron” is one of freedom from
Because the film was made with the bonds of the real world, literally
store-bought software, it is not a and figuratively.
TOP LOCAL technological breakthrough like
this year’s “Shrek,” “Monsters,
Jimmy is clearly a remarkable
boy, but the movie never forgets
Inc.” and “Final Fantasy: The that he’s a child. Our hero can
FILM RENTALS Spirits Within.” There are no tiny blast into outer space, construct a
hairs to admire on Jimmy’s head, sci-fi-era robot dog and breed a
(Week of Dec. 11-17) no subtle new skin textures or girl-eating plant. But, of course, he
1. “HOW THE GRINCH breathtaking vistas. can’t get permission from his
STOLE CHRISTMAS” The title character, in fact, parents to attend opening night of
2. “SHREK” resembles a windup toy with hair the town’s new amusement park.
3. “PEARL HARBOR” like a single dollop of chocolate Like any boy, Jimmy (voiced by
4. “PLANET OF THE APES” soft-serve ice cream. actress Debi Derryberry) rebels,
5. “DR. DOLITTLE 2” Instead of realism, “Jimmy sneaking away with his bowling-
6. “CATS & DOGS” Neutron” creates a cartoony vision ball-shaped pal Carl Wheezer
7. “SWORDFISH” more evocative of the kind of silly (Rob Paulsen) and the action-
8. “RUSH HOUR 2” fun little kids have in the school figure-obsessed Sheen (Jeff
9. “LARA CROFT: TOMB RAIDER” playground. Garcia).
10. “THE ANIMAL” This may be just the tonic for the When they return, all the parents
world of 3-D animation, which in town are missing. Gooey aliens
must guard against becoming all have taken them, drawn to Earth
“MOULIN ROUGE” “style” in the race to mimic live- by a friendly message from Jimmy.
“SCARY MOVIE 2” action. With that, Jimmy equips all the
“BRAVO TWO ZERO” “Jimmy Neutron” opens with rides at the park for space travel,
Jimmy racing through the and the boys and their
SOURCE: West Express stratosphere in a homemade schoolmates voyage beyond the
Videos & Games, 2210 rocket that looks clunkier than the solar system for an interstellar
Guadalupe Street kind you can ride outside the rescue.