Labor Day Cookout
Recipes are derived from those found on www.kraftfoods.com
Spinach Ranch Dip
(Makes 2 ½ cups dip or 20 servings, 2 tablespoons each)
1 ¼ cup 1% low fat cottage cheese
1 pouch powdered ranch dressing mix
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
½ cup finely grated carrots
½ cup finely chopped yellow peppers
Assorted raw vegetables for dipping (i.e. carrot sticks, cucumber slices, red
bell pepper strips)
1. Mix cottage cheese and dressing mix until well blended; you may use a
blender on medium speed for 1 minute to get a smoother consistency.
2. Stir in spinach, carrots and peppers. Cover and refrigerate until ready to
3. Serve with assorted cut vegetables.
Fresh Herb Dip
(Makes 2 cups or 16 servings, 2 tablespoons each)
1 cup low fat mayonnaise
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1. Combine ingredients in serving bowl; cover.
2. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
3. Serve with assorted cut vegetables for dipping.
Sweet Barbeque Chicken Kabobs
(Makes 4 servings, one kabob each)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups pineapple chunks (about ½ cored peeled pineapple)
1 each: red and green peppers, cut into chunks
½ cup barbeque sauce
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Using eight long wooden skewers,
thread chicken alternately with pineapple and peppers onto skewers, to
create four kabobs.
2. Mix barbeque sauce and juice; brush on kabobs.
3. Grill kabobs 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, brushing
occasionally with remaining sauce.
Rosemary Barbeque Salmon Fillets
(Makes 6 servings)
½ cup Catalina salad dressing
¼ cup orange juice
2 fresh rosemary sprigs
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
1. Mix dressing, orange juice, rosemary and garlic. Pour ¼ cup of the
dressing mixture over salmon fillets in shallow baking dish; cover.
Refrigerate 1 hour to marinate.
2. Preheat grill to medium heat. Cover grill grate with foil. Remove salmon
from marinade; discard marinade. Place salmon, skin sides down, on foil.
Cover grill with lid.
3. Grill 10 to 15 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with fork, brushing
salmon with reserved dressing mixture during the last few minutes of
the grilling time.
Salad/Vegetable Side Dishes
Spinach, Tomato and Basil Salad
(Makes 2 servings, 1 cup each)
1 ½ cups torn spinach leaves
2 small tomatoes, cut into small chunks
½ cup peeled cucumber chunks
2 thin slices red onion
2-4 tablespoons fat free Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Place spinach, tomatoes, cucumber and onion in small bowl.
2. Add dressing and basil; toss lightly.
3. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Zesty Grilled Vegetables
(Makes 8-10 servings)
4 medium zucchini; cut diagonally into ½ inch-thick slices
3 each: red and yellow peppers, cut into ½ inch-wide strips
¼ cup fat free Italian salad dressing
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat grill to medium heat. Place vegetables in grill basket.
2. Grill 10 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally. Place in large
3. Add dressing to coat; sprinkle with cheese.